Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Mental Health Support > Depression

advertisement
Unread 09-19-2005, 06:43 AM   #1
Magnate
Lexicon78 has no updates.

10 yr Member PC PoohBah!
Default Does anyone get worse at night?

For as long as I can remember I have always had more trouble and instability at night. This makes no sense to me because I have always been abused during the day. You'd think I'd have more trouble during the day than at night. Does anyone else encounter this problem?

My depression seems to get 10 times worse at night and I'd really like to know why.

"When they discover the center of the universe, a lot of people will be disappointed to discover they are not it." -Bernard Bailey
Lexicon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2005, 08:08 AM   #2
jammerlich has no updates.

8 yr Member
Default Re: Does anyone get worse at night?

Yes, yes, yes. I'm the same way. Seems like when the sun goes down, everything is magnified. The worst part is the time spent in bed trying to fall asleep. So painful. I usually stay up until I am tripping over myself because I am so deliriously sleepy. That way, when I get into bed, I know there won't be much waiting - I'll fall right to sleep.
jammerlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2005, 08:40 AM   #3
Poohbah

Myzen has no updates.

10 yr Member PC PoohBah!

Hi Lex,

Yes, a lot of people report that the worst time in any illness is the early hours of the morning. My anxiety strikes at any time really, but the night is when I think about it more, especially waking at 3am!

For this reason I always keep some inspiring reading by my bed, so that I can deal directly with the fear if I wake up. It helps me to read about others who have faced illnesses and dealt with them, and many famous and classic writers have been to this place.

Peaceful thoughts, M.
Myzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2005, 01:06 PM   #4
has no updates. Edit

Evenings are usually the worst time for me. Partly this is because i am so busy in the day that there is no space for anything else (I teach), and partly because by the time the evening comes I have spent all my energy.
C
Unread 09-19-2005, 02:41 PM   #5

Kismet has no updates.

8 yr Member

I feel better at night. The morning is my worst time. I usually start feeling better around dinner time. Going to bed is difficult for me but the seroquel helps there.
Kismet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2005, 02:46 PM   #6
Magnate
Lexicon78 has no updates.

10 yr Member PC PoohBah!

At night my depression creeps in, enveloping me in every aspect, and the memories that haunt me become more real than ever. It scares me to death, and sometimes death is an option at night....very scary stuff.

"When they discover the center of the universe, a lot of people will be disappointed to discover they are not it." -Bernard Bailey
Lexicon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2005, 02:47 PM   #7
obsids has no updates.

8 yr Member

I have more problems at night than during the day. Part of it might be due to tiredness or my meds wearing off.

But most of it, I know, is because night is a time of insecurity... darkness, sleepiness, dreams. It is when most activity ceases and a person tries to slip into sleep. For me, with my ptsd, it is a time of great terror, as I revisit my past nearly every night in my dreams.

Lord, help me be the person my psychiatrist medicates me to be...
obsids is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2005, 04:45 PM   #8
a_fire_inside has no updates.

8 yr Member

yea im the same way. during the day i might be ok but when night comes my depression gets worse.
a_fire_inside is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2005, 05:13 PM   #9

attekus has no updates.

8 yr Member PC PoohBah!

I get much worse at night too and can only guess why. Maybe it's feeling confined and unable to feel safe outside because of the darkness and it's when most of the bad stuff happens. Most people die at night too. Night definetly feels bad to me. I love the sun in the daytime (I live in California). I love the morning and the new day. Or maybe it's something chemical. One can only guess, but I do feel the same.
Attekus
attekus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2005, 06:45 PM   #10

tracylee has no updates.

My Mood:

8 yr Member

Actually, I have noticed that I get worse at night too. Maybe its because we dont have the little distractions that we would get during the day and we have more time to sit and think. What i tend to do now when i go to bed is read for a while and put on some nice gentle music and fall asleep listening to the music. My favourite falling asleep music at the moment is Engima!! Works for me Lex!! Take care!!
tracylee is offline   Reply With Quote