Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Mental Health Support > Depression

advertisement
Unread 10-19-2009, 10:15 AM   #1
guitarman61 has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
Default Depression and internalizing feelings

I'm trying to understand my depression issues. I have difficulty communicating my feelings, especially when I'm down and in a funk. I internalize things so when my loved one ask me how I'm feeling I just say "fine" when I'm not really fine. I'm going to discuss this with my T next week.

Is internalizing or withdrawing symptomatic of depression. This may sound like a silly question but I'm trying to get a handle on triggers and symptoms so I can recognize them and tell my wife or friends my true state of mind.

Thanks

guitarman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2009, 10:30 AM   #2
Account Suspended
nowheretorun has no updates.

10 yr Member PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Depression and internalizing feelings

i think it is normal to internalize Guitarman... poets, authors, artists, musicians... they all internalize... they express in their art the feelings they have and bring it out into the world for others to hear, see, feel and find many times they were not alone with their feelings and thoughts....

for someone sensitive its important to not feel left out and to cry for understanding... look at some of historys' greatest teachers... they were not spared suffering either but it was determination to never give up that gave them their voice and human evolution was altered because of it... in some ways it is the suffering spirit that sings that brings change and reform.... violence is never the way... choose your pen and paper, a song, a painting... these are the healthy ways to make change...

talk it over with your T and maybe you can find an art group to join... just avoid 'cliques' ... you have your own voice and it matter more than you may ever realize... sending cares
nowheretorun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2009, 12:26 PM   #3
Grand Magnate

lonegael has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
96 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Yup, actually both withdrawing and internalizing are really common armongst depressed people. Usually, people are just really to stimulating or we convincee ourselves that we are bein burdens to everyone, so we pull back. Often not a helpfull strategy when one is on the way down. Hope you start on the way up real soon
lonegael is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2009, 12:33 PM   #4
Magnate

Berries has no updates.

5 yr Member

Yes, for me, my illness causes me to withdraw and internalize my feelings with those I love the most. They feel shut out and don't understand. But it is hard to talk about the darkness and despair with them because I don't want to burden them or I know they just wouldn't understand.

Maybe if you took your wife to one of your therapy sessions? That way you have some structure and a professional to explain things that you can't.

Best wishes and welcome to PC.

[center][b][color=#92d050][font=Verdana]
Berries is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 10-19-2009, 02:08 PM   #5
Grand Member

trevorzero has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member

Withdrawal can be one of the most dangerous aspects of depression. If you isolate yourself, then you cannot receive the help and support that you need.

Let other people know that you don't want to withdraw, but that it is hard for you to resist the urge. Tell people to actively engage you when you are feeling this way. People need to know what you need from them, so make it clear.
Unread 10-19-2009, 08:09 PM   #6
Legendary

Sannah has worn out her welcome here. Good luck to everyone!

5 yr Member
1,755 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I think that this is one of the main causes of depression. I think that some people "learn" in childhood not to express their feelings. Our feelings are not meant to be kept but expressed and worked through. (And this probably means working through all the old ones that are stacked up in storage too).
Don't let your problems or the world make you feel small. Stretch your arms out over your head. Take a deep breathe. Tell yourself that you are big. You are big, not small. You always have space, you are not trapped........

I'm an ISFJ
Sannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2009, 09:15 PM   #7
Community Support Team

turquoisesea enjoying good weather

My Mood:

5 yr Member
42 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Internalizing and withdrawing are both symptoms of depression, but they can be symptoms of other things or just personality traits as well.

For me they both come out in full force the more depressed I get. I have been working on vocalizing how I feel. Although it doesn't always feel it at the time it helps SO much. Just to tell my boyfriend "I'm feeling like this, it might be because of this" not only clarifies to him how I'm feeling so he can help me, but it gives ME a clearer idea of what's going on inside. Sometimes facing the feelings make me feel a thousand times better.

Yesterday I was so clever, so I want to change the world.
Today I am wise, so I am changing myself.

turquoisesea is offline   Reply With Quote