Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > General > Current Events & News Discussion

advertisement
Unread 07-14-2013, 07:21 PM   #21
Grand Magnate

Rose76 This summer went the best of the last four, and I feel pretty good.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
2,358 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Why wasn't George Zimmerman convicted of manslaughter?

I was disappointed with the verdict, but I am not prepared to say that it was an unjust verdict. Had I been on the jury, I might have reached the same verdict. There is no law that makes Zimmerman's getting out of the car illegal. Not even the fact that police advised him not to follow Martin makes it illegal for him to have continued the pursuit.

Sometimes what is wrong, or un-wise, or ill-advised is not necessarily illegal. We don't know who struck the first blow. We will never know. Even if it all happened just as Zimmerman states, that doesn't make Zimmerman blameless in my eyes. But it may well be that nothing he did was actually illegal. I think Perna's analogy about getting mad at your sibling for staring at you is actually a good analogy. If you respond by smacking your sibling, you'll probably be found in the wrong.

Unlike in the case of a sibling pushing your buttons, Martin's case had the dimension of fear. He was genuinely and justifiably very afraid of this man following him in the dark for such an interval. He did take evasive action and couldn't shake the pursuer. More than anything else, the confrontation was tragic. Yes, it was unnecessary and it was Zimmerman's actions that precipitated the encounter. I think Zimmerman showed himself to be a jerk.

I just heard Zimmerman's lawyer telling media that his client will live in fear for the rest of his life . . . wondering who might be tracking and pursuing him. That's ironic, isn't it? There is the old saying that we can create our own hell. It's like in Dante's Inferno, where each damned soul suffers in a way that reflects the way in which that person sinned. I think Mark O'Mara was trying to reassure the public that his client is not getting off with no unhappy consequences. Justice seems to require that he have consequences . . . and he will. There will be the civil trial that is likely to ensue. Also, there is the ton of attention from the paparazzi that will be no picnic for Zimmerman. He will live in fear of who might have it in for him. Plus, the memory of all this will cast a pall over his life.

Other wanabee cops may well be dissuaded from doing what GZ did. That would be a good outcome.
Rose76 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Unread 07-14-2013, 07:33 PM   #22
who reads this, anyway?

Yoda misses Dusty :(

My Mood:

5 yr Member PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by unhappyguy View Post
He lied to the jury when he said ...
But Zimmerman never testified during the trial

Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 07-14-2013, 07:59 PM   #23
Magnate
Chat Leader

Grey Matter As strange as it may seem, it's best not to breathe.

My Mood:

1,049 hugs
given

Zimmerman is also more than likely getting his gun back.

So much logic, there.

“You are so brave and quiet I forget you are suffering.”.
Grey Matter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2013, 08:05 PM   #24
Trying

lynn P. Taking Babysteps

5 yr Member
2,707 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Thumbs down Re: Why wasn't George Zimmerman convicted of manslaughter?

I'm disappointed by the verdict and feel he should have been convicted of manslaughter. He was the pursuer and it was silly to even call the police on Trayvon. A neighborhood watch should call when they see a crime in progress, not a pedestrian on the street. We only have one side and don't really know why Trayvon punched Zimmerman. Many men would stick up for themselves when being relentlessly followed. Maybe he thought Zimmerman was a sexual predator or robber. People get in fights everyday and it sucks for Zimmerman if he was losing the fight - maybe that's why he should have stayed in the car. It doesn't take a genius IQ to know what "stand down" means. Aren't the police too busy to get calls for people walking, eating candy and drinking iced tea??

If I accidentally killed someone with a gun - I'd expect to go to jail for manslaughter. If a robber comes in my house and I get in a physical confrontation where I fear for my life - yes its legitimate to defend myself with a deadly weapon. Zimmerman was overly sensitive to crime and overreacted to a kid minding his own business. Now Zimmerman will be followed relentlessly and lets see how he'll like it. I bet Trayvon feared for his life too. Having a dad as a judge or former one helps too and so do the thousands of donations for his legal case. How would any parents of a teenager going to the store feel, knowing they're dead.

*Practice on-line safety.
*Cheaters - collecting jar of hearts.
*Make your mess, your message.
*"Be the change you want to see" (Gandhi)

lynn P. is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Unread 07-14-2013, 08:17 PM   #25
Grand Magnate

winter4me is trying to hang on to this Sweet Old World

My Mood:

565 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

&perhaps he'll kill again.
i am sick that we can justify murdering an unarmed person walking home who was doing nothing wrong and who was pursued by their murderer...even if the kid hit him, that sounds more like self defense to me, followed by a stranger with a gun...
winter4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2013, 08:24 PM   #26
Wise Elder

Open Eyes one day at a time

My Mood:

3 yr Member
7,451 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

You made some good points ((Rose)), Zimmerman will probably be "followed" for the rest of his life, "Karma" right?

Unfortunately Zimmerman did not break any laws, and the jury believed that Trayvon made the first physical contact and that he was on top of Zimmerman. Apparently, all of Zimmermans actions up to that point were not illegal, even though he was, as many of us feel "stalking and profiling" an innocent young man.

There is already talk about a civil suit in this case too, so Zimmerman will have yet another legal battle ahead.

I just want to mention that Zimmerman's parents did settle with the insurance for the community for 1 million dollars. I heard that on the radio.

I find this very sad and I can't blame anyone for feeling an injustice was done in this case.

OE
Open Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Unread 07-14-2013, 08:35 PM   #27

Hope.Floater has no updates.

My Mood:

21 hugs
given

Yes the legal system has it's issues at the same time the jury let Zimmerman go. This case is only one of many that happen in the US every year so why now is this so big in the news really??? Bottom line Zimmermans' hell has just begin. He will never be able to go back to the life he knew. I mean seriously the Blank Panthers have it out for him not to mention.... Bottom line the justice system needs reform at the same time many of the crooked politician's and people in public safety got to go. I am sad to say I don't think I will see it in my life time
Hope.Floater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2013, 10:11 PM   #28
Magnate
Chat Leader

Grey Matter As strange as it may seem, it's best not to breathe.

My Mood:

1,049 hugs
given

This grabbed national attention because it was profiling and racism in action. And people (well, most people) understood that what Zimmerman did was wrong. Killing someone is wrong. Killing an unarmed kid is wrong (and no, a side walk does not make him "armed"). It has people paying attention now. In Florida, they locked a women up for shooting at the ceiling to scare off her abusive husband. In NY, a black man who shot a pretty rich white boy for attacking his son and threatening death, and once the boy went to the mans son, he shot him. He was arrested on the scene. And it was all over the news because "A BLACK MAN KILLED AGAIN".

Racism is an institutionalized thing. And if people deny race played a part, then I suggest doing some further reading.

“You are so brave and quiet I forget you are suffering.”.

Last edited by Grey Matter; 07-15-2013 at 01:36 AM.
Grey Matter is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:
Unread 07-15-2013, 12:11 AM   #29
Poohbah

TerryL has no updates.

3 yr Member
910 hugs
given

With double jeopardy I don't believe Zimmerman can ever be tried again for the killing so I hope he will take that opportunity to take some responsibility for what happened. I think I heard that he had wanted to talk to Trayvon's parents from the start but was told not to. As for him having to look over his shoulder for the rest of his life I don't think that will bring any solace to Trayvon's parents. Just sad. Thanks to all for all the feedback.
TerryL is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 07-15-2013, 01:29 AM   #30
Anonymous32433
Anonymous32433 has no updates. Edit

At first I thought to myself that why is trayvon getting so much attention from the nation? I was like other people die on a daily basis and they don't seem to be cared for. Why is this little boy so special? Other ethnicities have been through similar cases and nobody paid any attention. take the asian race for instance. Remember vincent chin? then I came around and thought that everyone deserves justice and in this case Trayvon should be granted that.