Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > General > Current Events & News Discussion

advertisement
Unread 02-28-2013, 01:09 AM   #1

Danininja has no updates.

My Mood:

2 hugs
given
Default THIS is what makes me lose faith in humanity

I can't believe bigotry like this is even legal!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9I4t_teQPs

Sorry just saw this and it got my blood boiling.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Unread 02-28-2013, 01:20 AM   #2
who reads this, anyway?

Yoda misses Dusty :(

My Mood:

5 yr Member PC PoohBah!
Default Re: THIS is what makes me lose faith in humanity

Unfortunately there is no law against stupidity.

What makes me really sad is my mom and one sister would say amen to that preacher and would disown their own family if they only knew our secrets.

Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Unread 02-28-2013, 01:51 AM   #3

My Mood:

2 hugs
given

That's definitely unfortunate...but good for you for not letting your family's beliefs determine yours
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 02-28-2013, 02:02 AM   #4
Elder

optimize990h has no updates.

2 yr Member
6,660 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

history keeps repeating itself. Humanity has been cruel in the past and has no easy way of stopping this vicious cycle

(Buddy putting in his 2bits worth)
optimize990h is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:
Unread 02-28-2013, 02:41 AM   #5
Legendary Wise Elder &
Senior
Community Liaison

Travelinglady says, "New and need help? Contact us Community Liaisons!"

My Mood:

3 yr Member
10,549 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

He does seem to demonstrate hatred that, to me, is not in keeping with Christianity. Electric fences and letting them die out?
Unread 02-28-2013, 03:29 AM   #6

roads has no updates.

3 yr Member
2,551 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

In another context, my vet the other day made the comment that it was too bad that ignorance wasn't physically painful. I think more and more about that ...
I don't remember ever having a lot of faith in mankind. I was pretty skeptical by age eight.

I'm so sick of these bible types. There are so many prohibitions that are not faith-based, like not eating pork. That's a health issue, strictly related to the conditions of the day. So, too (should anyone care to explore the anthropology of the period) is the stricture against sexual relations not with the intent to procreate.
In biblical times, the future of the species wasn't a sure thing. Homo sapiens was in danger of vanishing, and sexual encounters needed to be aimed specifically at keeping mankind going. Homosexuality is common among all species, always has been--but when a species is hovering on the brink of survival, homosexuality is a waste of an urgent resource. The church turns this into commandments and mixes it up with faith ... when actually it was a matter of biology.
But now there's little doubt that mankind is surviving. No need to worry about homosexuality not creating babies--we have more than enough babies coming! The whole biological reason for trying to make all sex baby-producing is long past ... but the church mixed it all up in the beginning and never bothered to sort it out.

Late night pondering ...
roads is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 02-28-2013, 04:28 AM   #7

My Mood:

2 hugs
given

I found out today that my great grandparents weren't allowed to marry (in Europe) because it was illegal for Jews to marry because the whoever running the country figured that if they couldn't get married than they would not reproduce...I mean, I know being Jewish and being homosexual is a difference, but think about it now....if a pastor, or no, the government were to say right now, "Like, we're not taking Hitler's side or anything...but we kind of feel like God's not cool with ya Jewish folk getting married so we're just gonna go ahead and kinda ban that one," people, Jewish and not, would go mad because that's taking away human rights, it's saying that Jewish people are below everyone else because of their beliefs. So, why is it okay to persecute homosexuals for their sexual orientation?
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Unread 02-28-2013, 07:20 AM   #8
Grand Magnate
KathyM has no updates.

5 yr Member
1,675 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Heart Re: THIS is what makes me lose faith in humanity

Hi Danininja

The hypocrisy astounds me. People with so much hatred in their hearts should not consider themselves an authority of God or pretend to be God. I sometimes wish Jesus would return, whisper in their ears and say "Let it go, Louie.....I'm gay, and all the horrible things you're saying about me is making my dad VERY angry "

So, theoretically speaking, if Jesus returns in the form of a gay man or woman.....he should be placed behind an electrified fence and left to DIE!?!

Oh, and what about the children? At what stage of life do they intend to kill off the gay children? During infancy, childhood, or will they wait until the child reaches maturity? Will they be able to accurately decipher which infant will be gay?

My sister and I have adult sons very close in age. When they were infants, my sister and I were discussing our overwhelming love for our sons. As we speculated on the future, I asked my sister if she would feel any different if her son turned out to be gay. She laughed and said "not at all." We both agreed this type of love is unconditional.

If these "preachers" don't know about LOVE, they should stop pretending to be God.
KathyM is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 02-28-2013, 07:57 AM   #9

astenon has no updates.

My Mood:

89 hugs
given

I'm sooo glad I live in the UK. Over here we have a law against Hate Speech such as this

From wikipedia "In the United Kingdom, several statutes criminalize hate speech against several categories of persons. The statutes forbid communication which is hateful, threatening, abusive, or insulting and which targets a person on account of skin colour, race, disability, nationality (including citizenship), ethnic or national origin, religion, or sexual orientation. The penalties for hate speech include fines, imprisonment, or both"

I'm no expert in the law, but suspect that over here, that pastor in the clip would be off to prison for what he said. Unfortunately, in the US it seems that whole "right to free speech" thing is a curse in situations like this.
astenon is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 02-28-2013, 08:30 AM   #10
Grand Magnate

unguy is still suffering.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
744 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Is it just me or does "freedom of religion" here in the U.S. appear to be out of control?

The preacher is mean and ignorant. If / when Jesus returns, let's hope that he casts this preacher out of his temple! Better yet, I hope He also smacks him upside the head!!

Let's not forget Jesus' commandments: 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' This wayward preacher needs to re-read this, particularly part two.
unguy is offline   Reply With Quote