Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Health & Other Support > Clyde's Corner

advertisement
Unread 07-10-2011, 07:42 PM   #1
5-HTP has no updates.

3 yr Member
Default Psychology seems rather narrow-minded about human personality traits.

I encountered this chart on the internet:

http://help4aspergers.com/pb/wp_a58d...237783e339.JPG

This greatly distressed me because apparently according to psychology, or at least this list APPEARS TO SAY that apparently according to psychology, women who are scientists or engineers or not girly or not high-maintenance are freaks.

I dress comfortably. I hate excessively girly clothes, and I think they make me look like a powerless, submissive idiot. But apparently this is a problem to psychologists.

I have a 'wash and wear' hairstyle that also looks good. I do not spend much time at all on grooming - more than is strictly necessary to look reasonably presentable, and I try to minimize the time it takes to do it. Apparently this is a problem, to psychologists.

I have many 'androgynous' traits despite my outwardly female appearance (this gendering of traits is absurd, why does it persist?). Apparently, this is a problem to psychologists!

I have a strong interest in, and in fact study and will do for a living, science (I am headed for research as a professor). Apparently this is a problem, to psychologists.

I was a self-taught reader and have a number of other self-taught skills. This is apparently a problem, to psychologists.

I'm not as much of a verbal learner as a visual/kinesthetic learner. This is apparently a problem to psychologists.

Got IBS. Not much relevant to psychology, now is it.

I don't like injustice and it makes me feel angry and rage-y. This is a problem in the minds of psychologists, apparently!

I'm outspoken at times. Apparently this is a problem to psychologists.

I prefer not to go out THAT much because I'm really busy. But psychologists think this is A PROBLEM.

I am not. Girly. At. All. I dislike traditionally 'girly' things, and in fact, dislike the whole concept of gendering activities or personality traits. Apparently psychologists think this makes me a freak.

I do not conform to 'traditional' gender roles, and frankly anyone who does is a friggin' idiot because 'traditional' gender roles are horrifically repressive and backward. But psychologists have problems with this.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, and if you sense an angry tone in this, you're quite right - this judgment of healthy traits to have as somehow pathological is absurd. Psychologists may ultimately be human beings, but what they are judging is another human being's mental state and that is an enormous responsibility. I seem to remember it wasn't all that long ago that homosexuality, for example, was considered a disease by psychology, after all, and how much damage did that do?
5-HTP is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 07-10-2011, 07:43 PM   #2
5-HTP has no updates.

3 yr Member
Default Re: Psychology seems rather narrow-minded about human personality traits.

Not to imply that Aspies are freaks. But a diagnosis of Asperger's usually implies that there is a problem with some aspect of the person with the diagnosis.
5-HTP is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 07-10-2011, 08:27 PM   #3
Grand Poohbah

Omers Wanting a cave to crawl into

My Mood:

3 yr Member
Default Re: Psychology seems rather narrow-minded about human personality traits.

She is just trying to make a name for herself as a consultant but as someone on the spectrum she grossly overgeneralizes inaccurate bull s*

Neurodiversity is legit! yes, we may be different but even within Aspi we are all different.

Oh, and I don't see any credentials listed nor do I see her siting legit (any) sources.
Unread 07-10-2011, 09:04 PM   #4
Legendary

hankster likes doing the chicken dance, not just at weddings.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
5,416 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I didn't take it negatively. Last time I looked for info on Asperger's, there was limited info on girls/women, so thanks for posting this. I can't wait till I mature! (penultimate item) The first point mentions sensory issues. I've read about kids who can't stand the scratchy (to them) seams on the inside of their jammies, and their moms didn't know why they were screaming. These girls would not be likely to grow up to wear flaky mascara and smelly sticky hairspray, might be the only point this chart is making. A lot of women T's I know fit your description!
hankster is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 07-11-2011, 03:46 PM   #5
silverbells has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member

Hankster, I'd say you crack me up too (because you do) but what you're WRITING ABOUT ISN'T FUNNY, IIIIIIIS IIIIIIIIIT?????? REALLy good points. I have many kindred responses, but I have to type them a little later (i have to do a bunch of stuff I don't want to do first).
silverbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2011, 05:34 PM   #6
Legendary

hankster likes doing the chicken dance, not just at weddings.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
5,416 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbells View Post
Hankster, I'd say you crack me up too (because you do) but what you're WRITING ABOUT ISN'T FUNNY, IIIIIIIS IIIIIIIIIT??????
Oops! I meant YOU cracked me up in your post about stupid things people do, I was just too shy to post there (red cheeks - sorry, my phone is not much better than a typewriter). And you are right, making jokes has not served me well - because of it, my T's haven't taken me seriously, but I am very serious. The points raised by 5-HTP and the job hunter were or are my issues. I get called "sir" too often, and it's not a look I'm striving for. One boss used to tell me to smile - would he have told a man that?

I feel like I have grown a million group therapy sessions worth in the past month I have been here (probably online too much, but I had a T boundary crisis and reading here helped). I am sorry, I know I am not good around people. But you guys I think are teaching me to be less obnoxious, more supportive, and reasonably assertive? I welcome your advice. What an amazing gift you all are.
hankster is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 07-11-2011, 06:01 PM   #7

My Mood:

3 yr Member

No no, Hankster - I mean that the HUMOR with which you wrote cracked me up, but your reaction to that chart is right on. And what isn't funny is how these charts get printed and distributed without regard for how they can be interpreted. I got a terrible stomach ache just looking at it and I've never struggles with anyp aspect of Aspergers (although by the time I was finished reading the characteristics, I was pretty convinced i've got a full-blown case of it!) And I think there's truth to what Omers is saying: it's maddening to me (although I'm broke and learning about the business world makes it easier for me to deal with) but people in the psych field do have to make money, and they do have to build a reputation for themselves, and I know from studying Social Services that people at EVERY level are trying to walk the line between keeping themselves afloat and helping other people. So they do things they're not really qualified to do, or they publish things and they can't anticipate the reactions people are going to have. And people with Aspergers or relatives or caretakers or researchers or general care providers might be helped by this chart in some way (although it's SO general - I don't know how, to tell you the truth ((and I only say this because I'm anonymous on here!))). My point is that people publish stuff for all kinds of reasons, and the wrong people get ahold of the stuff and it scares the bejeezes out of them. And I'm serious - it really did scare me to read it! I just don't think YOU should be scared by it. Love of music, going gaga over a male, low-maintenance hairstyles - REALLY not stuff to base a diagnosis and potentially very very life-damaging and permanent label on. I'd say most people have these traits!
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 07-11-2011, 08:59 PM   #8
Community Support Team

DocClyde IS ProfessorClyde

My Mood:

8 yr Member
2,070 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I am a psychologist, but a person first.

I hate labels myself. Always have. I am short, and chubby. Don't want people thinking I am lazy--however; that is the way many people, not just psychologists may view me, when in reality, everything from everyone from everybody is a case-by-case basis.

I have this Ph.D., but I am basically doing retail because where I live is very rural and my elderly parents are, well, elderly--I am staying here helping them. A huge part of me is thrilled to do so, to give back to them what I have received.

Most people think someone living with their parents, being chubby, and short--he's either the guy in the basement with the comic books and Mom baking the cookies to bring to him and his two friends--or that he is just plain lazy.

Why am I telling you all of this? Plainly just because it does not matter who we are, nor what we have. Psychologists, or anyone else, has problems and issues and things that they need to work out.

Don't worry about the labels, I guess is my point, let's worry about each other and let's all get better. The labels are generic, you are not.

to all...

--Abraham Maslow
DocClyde is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 07-12-2011, 03:24 AM   #9

My Mood:

3 yr Member

Doc Clyde - you are SOOOO cool!
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 07-12-2011, 05:29 AM   #10
Your Host
Chat Leader

DocJohn is doing a-okay

My Mood:

10 yr Member
93 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I would also caution that this is a chart that appears on one person's website. The person doesn't appear to be a professional or represent psychology. They are simply someone who apparently lives with Asperger's.

Don't believe everything you read or find online. And definitely don't generalize from such information, as it may have little basis in science (as this list of traits seems to be from her personal experience, not from the research).

DocJohn

World of Psychology

↑ Grab this Headline Animator

DocJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says: