Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Health & Other Support > Chronic Pain Support

advertisement
Unread 12-16-2010, 09:26 PM   #1
Magnate
Chat Leader

Jewels is in training to run!!!

My Mood:

5 yr Member
90 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Pain is so bad I can hardly walk...

I thought that at first it was just because I had had surgery on my right foot that my left knee was hurting from increased pressure on that leg to compensate for the injury. But for the last couple of days, I have had such searing pain that even the pain meds didn't help, and I ended up taking a lot of Ibuprofen to compensate for the pain. It helped a little, but I still am walking on knees that feel like they could collapse at any time now. I am past pain into agony. I wish I could use my chair and stop my legs from hurting, but I can't use it outside, and I can't really use it inside because my apartment is too small for it to work. Sigh. I don't want to have to use my power chair unless there is no other way. Right now, there is walking with the use of a cane. But I know that is temporary and will not hold out forever. Sigh. I don't know what else to do. And crying about it isn't an option. I have elevated leg rests on my chair, or should I say FOR my chair that I can use, but I feel if I once use them I will be too happy to use anything but my chair. And then my world will be diminished again. As a foster parent, I can't do that. Just can't.
NO weapon formed against me shall prosper, and every voice that rises against me in judgment I shall condemn. Isaiah 54:17
Jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2010, 04:50 AM   #2
Elder

Leed has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
189 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Pain is so bad I can hardly walk...

Bless your heart - What does your doctor say about your knees?? Why hasn't he put you on pain medication?? Too much Ibuprofen will tear up your stomach! You should be on something else for pain -- a prescribed pain med.

When do you see your doctor next?? He should be running tests to see what exactly is causing the pain and then treat you. I have severe spine problems, but also osteoarthritis and my knees are bothering me too. I'm on pain meds for my spine -- but they aren't touching my knees so I see my doc on Monday and we're going to have a "chat." Something has to be done. You need to have a talk with YOUR doc too. You shouldn't be suffering like that. Please call him and make an appointment, ok?

Best of luck and let us know what you find out, ok? I'd really like to know. God bless. Hugs, Lee
Leed is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 12-17-2010, 05:18 PM   #3
Magnate
Chat Leader

My Mood:

5 yr Member
90 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Well, I am already on a big pain management program for my back...tons of pain there...am taking MS Contin along with Vicodin ES for pain...and Flexeril at night, as well as Zanaflex during the day...the knee that has the most pain is the one that I do not have a patella on anymore so it is just bone against bone...sigh...so unless they have prosthetic patellas I am not able to do anything about it...

thanks for the boost though...I appreciate it...and you know how those Michigan cold spells can be...very rough during times of switching low and high fronts go...I am tired of winter already and it has just really started...

I should go to arizona or somewhere like that...but even then I wouldn't want to venture far outside with my knees the way they are...
NO weapon formed against me shall prosper, and every voice that rises against me in judgment I shall condemn. Isaiah 54:17
Unread 12-17-2010, 06:23 PM   #4
Legendary Wise Elder

(JD) holds a PhD but is medically retired from practice.

My Mood:

10 yr Member
854 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Gentle I'm sorry you're in such pain! It sure could be rebound pain from the additional meds from the surgery. Your original reasoning (over use of another part compensating for infirmed) sounded quite possible to me.

Job 6:14 (NASB)
“For the despairing man there should be kindness from his friend;
So that he does not forsake the fear of the Almighty.
(JD) is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 12-17-2010, 10:48 PM   #5
Magnate
Chat Leader

My Mood:

5 yr Member
90 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I didn't use any additional pain meds from the surgery. After the first day there was no pain, so there was no need to take anything...the only thing that seems to work on my knees IS the Ibuprofen...and yes, too much of that is hard on the tummy...and I am on tummy pills already...so it is a vicious cycle...pain...ibuprofen...tummy pills...pain...ibuprofen...pain...I don't have any meds that touch my knee pain...even those pain products I am already on...they seem to work fine on my back and my neck, and I have Lyrica also for my Fibro...so it may have to be upped until I can once again walk without a lot of pain...I do know the pain gets worse with the different cold fronts and warm fronts come close to coming through our region...I can tell two days before they change because of how my knees are...but I am tired of just making it...
Unread 12-18-2010, 01:23 PM   #6
Elder

Leed has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
189 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Hey Jewels - I'm in Michigan too, and I'm a human barometer! LOL I can tell when a storm is coming, whether it's in the summer or winter. All I have to do is consult my back & legs -- I'll be able to tell Actually I'd rather NOT have that ability.

Right now where I am, we have a foot of snow on the ground. I HATE WHITE!!! It isn't even winter officially yet. Good grief.

Hugs, Lee
Leed is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 12-18-2010, 06:22 PM   #7
Legendary Wise Elder

(JD) holds a PhD but is medically retired from practice.

My Mood:

10 yr Member
854 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Tongue Re: Pain is so bad I can hardly walk...

ouch. About the only other idea I have is about diet then...and I'm pretty sure you know how that goes...but keep trying. Surely it won't always be this bad, right? It just feels like it is forever.

Job 6:14 (NASB)
“For the despairing man there should be kindness from his friend;
So that he does not forsake the fear of the Almighty.
(JD) is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 12-18-2010, 06:46 PM   #8
Magnate
Chat Leader

My Mood:

5 yr Member
90 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Hey Lee...I know the human barometer feeling. I know well in advance when the weather is going to change...hence the pain in my knees...we have only a few inches of the white stuff on the ground...and yes, i am sick of the white already too! it is NOT winter yet...and yet all this snow is on the ground...and we are getting pelted with snow right now...i wish I could move to a warmer climate...but i can't so i guess i will have to put up with the pain...i live in the lower pennisula...sort of in the middle of things...we don't have a lot of snow...just cold...temps in the teens...is just downright too cold to do anything outside...like my daughter says, it is just too cold to go to school when the temps reach 7 degrees above zero...i have to agree with her...would any of the admins want to stand outside for 5-20 minutes waiting for their bus to come? would any of them wish to have to walk to work in those kinds of temps? I would volunteer to say no, they wouldn't...but hey, they are beneath that aren't they???
from the shivery cold michigan west...bye

Jewels
Unread 12-20-2010, 08:23 PM   #9
Magnate
Chat Leader

My Mood:

5 yr Member
90 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Tongue Re: Pain is so bad I can hardly walk...

Well, a couple of days' rest, and a passing cold front have found my knees in better shape as of late...I can once again walk with some pain but not a lot...and I see my foot dr tomorrow for the word on how my foot is doing...there is no pain, and it seems to have healed on the outside well as well...hopefully I can return to my shoe tomorrow instead of having to wear that silly little shoe they give you so that you can't arch or bend your foot or toe. It will be good to be able to actually wear a shoe!!! Four weeks in that shoe have given me a new appreciation for shoes, especially after my other foot surgery in February this year. Thanks for all the good thoughts and prayers!

Jewels
Unread 12-20-2010, 09:16 PM   #10
Poohbah

billieJ has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member

Jewels, your story is one of bravery & determined battle against your disabilities. Is there a silicon implant that might create a cushion between the bone-against-bone in your knee? I see that you are better, and this is wonderful news! Your resolution to be as independent and free of, for example, your chair foot rests, is an inspiration to us all. (((((((((((((Jewels))))))))))))))) Hope your foot is much better, and, for goodness sake, don't fall!
"Thanks for this!" says: