Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Mental Health Support > Personality Place > Borderline Personality Disorder

advertisement
Unread 01-02-2014, 09:28 PM   #1
Happy Camper has no updates.

82 hugs
given
Default Highly sesnitive person vs borderline?

Highly sensitive person - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Apparently this is a very common thing (1/5th the population). Being a seemingly introverted male all my life, I was highly repressed and believed far too many things other people thought about me, but I always sensed I was fundamentally different---intuitive, inwardly hyper emotional, and overwhelmed by the sheer amount of things I see and process.

Can anyone chime in on this?
Happy Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 01-02-2014, 10:44 PM   #2

River11 has reconnected with her essential self - who is ALWAYS ok!

My Mood:

143 hugs
given
Default Re: Highly sesnitive person vs borderline?

Interesting posit, Happy Camper, and I can see some of my traits in that description ... I would suggest, though, that there are some significant traits of BPD that aren't encapsulated in the Highly Sensitive profile.

But I'm far from the best person to chime in for your post, as I'm newish to recognising and learning about my BPD and the psychologist I got referred to sees my hyper-vigilance, tendencies to high anxiety, depression and anger, 'emptiness', occasional SH, exaggerated feelings and fears of abandonment etc (and that being of reasonably high intelligence, self-awareness, spiritual and psych. understanding still doesn't prevent me from going to irrational extremes) as being legacies of years and years of abuse and trauma.

Do you find that all your 'traits' are explained by the 'HSP' category?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unread 01-02-2014, 11:13 PM   #3
Grand Member

cboxpalace The KING of Borderlines!

2 yr Member
1 hugs
given

Both affect interpersonal relationships but for different reasons.. BPD will affect interpersonal relationships because of flaws in ones personality which stems from trauma experienced at some point in childhood. How one interacts with another. They wouldn't avoid others because of anxiety but would have a difficult time maintaining a relationship because of personality issues.

HSP can affect interpersonal relationships for reasons associated with anxiety type issues and would more likely avoid or shy away / close up around others.

HSP would be more closely related to a MOOD disorder where BPD is PERSONALITY disorder. It wouldn't be uncommon for them to co exist.
cboxpalace is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 01-02-2014, 11:13 PM   #4
Grand Member

Maranara ......

My Mood:

61 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by River11 View Post
Interesting posit, Happy Camper, and I can see some of my traits in that description ... I would suggest, though, that there are some significant traits of BPD that aren't encapsulated in the Highly Sensitive profile.

But I'm far from the best person to chime in for your post, as I'm newish to recognising and learning about my BPD and the psychologist I got referred to sees my hyper-vigilance, tendencies to high anxiety, depression and anger, 'emptiness', occasional SH, exaggerated feelings and fears of abandonment etc (and that being of reasonably high intelligence, self-awareness, spiritual and psych. understanding still doesn't prevent me from going to irrational extremes) as being legacies of years and years of abuse and trauma.

Do you find that all your 'traits' are explained by the 'HSP' category?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Most BPD's are the way they are due to trama and abuse. We got the way we are due to things happening and being constantly invalidated in the process, being told it wasn't a big deal, that we were exaggerating, that our feelings were incorrect, or that we had no right to feel the way we did. Many of us also suffer from PTSD from those events.

I believe that BPDs are almost all highly sensitive people but not all highly sensitive people are BPD. We have some traits that wouldn't fit in the HSP personna....lack of self identity, fear of abandonment, suicidal tendacies as well as SI tendancies, severe impulsiveness, and our propensity to disassociate to name a few.

Check out my business Facebook page!
www.facebook.com/socialwrites
Maranara is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 01-02-2014, 11:46 PM   #5

rabbit1234 Loving sobriety...

My Mood:

3 yr Member
11 hugs
given

Yes I can relate. My former therapist called me an "Empath". I am sensitive in all the senses. I can feel what other people are feeling, and I can "read" them. Sometimes its overwhelming to be in a group of people.
Hugs from:
Unread 01-03-2014, 01:24 AM   #6
Community Support Team

shezbut My grandpa in-law is ready to let go of life

My Mood:

5 yr Member
11,000 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I am an HSP and BPD, as well as a few other diagnoses thrown in. I wrote an extensive paper in college on HSP's and I knew right away that was me to a T!!
Unread 01-03-2014, 01:30 AM   #7
Grand Member

greentires4me is on a roller coaster with voices and hallucinations with paranoia following up the rear.

My Mood:

225 hugs
given

my mom calls me a highly sensitive person every time I talk about BPD she literally will cut me off and talk about me differently. She never wants to hear what I have to say...to a degree I may agree with her but overall I finally do believe the diagnosis of BPD to be true for me.
Unread 01-03-2014, 01:32 AM   #8

SaraSkyblue I bring crazy to a whole new level....

My Mood:

95 hugs
given

Whoa, wait. This makes my brain hurt. I was diagnosed with BPD....but I also have Social Phobia. Like....anxiety SO bad I refuse to leave the house or even talk one on one with people. That sounds A LOT like this HSP. But I really DO fear abandonment and I see rejection in EVERYTHING. So many things. Why do all of these disorders have to have such fine lines between them?
SaraSkyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:
Unread 01-03-2014, 07:40 AM   #9
Grand Poohbah
The_little_didgee has proof to clear her name!

A lot of ladies with autism spectrum disorder score very high on Aron's HSP test.
Unread 01-03-2014, 03:56 PM   #10
Happy Camper has no updates.

82 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraSkyblue View Post
Why do all of these disorders have to have such fine lines between them?
It helps to remember that most of these disorders don't actually exist in a tangible sense--they're just names for a grouping of related traits, clouded by the fog of speculation and theory. Ultimately the consequence of this approach is that for every diagnosis, we swallow a bit of truth and a lot of poison.
Happy Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says: