Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Mental Health Support > Personality Place > Borderline Personality Disorder

advertisement
Unread 04-23-2013, 04:21 PM   #1
Grand Magnate
s4ndm4n2006 has no updates.

2 yr Member
349 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Children's stories that have a profound effect

I am just curious. I went looking for a story that had a very profound effect on me as a child and it stuck with me. I posted in another thread something about warm, fuzzies and was reminded of the story that was behind that term. This is a story that i remember loving very much and it really affected me as a small child. Do you have any stories like this that are really important from childhood?

A Warm Fuzzy Tale
s4ndm4n2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 04:35 PM   #2
Anonymous32935
Anonymous32935 has no updates. Edit

Default Re: Children's stories that have a profound effect

Very good story. I apologize, but the description of the warm fuzzies reminded me of Tribbles.

Here's one from me. This story haunted me when I was little, but it's one I'll never forget.

"The Red Shoes"
Fairy tale: The Red Shoes - by author Hans Christian Andersen (short story)
Unread 04-23-2013, 04:44 PM   #3
Community Support Team

shezbut is a crab ~ changing shells every so often

My Mood:

5 yr Member
9,607 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vafs4yFNtQ8

"The Monster at the End of This Book" ~ starring loveable, furry old Grover, from Sesame Street.

I can't seem to find the link to the book, without someone reading it aloud. The one above is read just the way I read it (in my head and aloud to kids).

shezbut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 09:35 PM   #4
Grand Poohbah

Big Mama has no updates.

My Mood:

374 hugs
given

I had a classic mother goose nursery rhyme book. I always felt so sorry for the kids. They all looked like they had there pants on backwards. (they were English jodhpurs)

I always remembered there wa an old woman lived in a shoe. Why would she not feed the kids anything good and then spank them. And rock a bye baby whats up w/ that, the cradle will fall. Those nursery rhymed dudes were hard core.

As for a good book, I used to love Frog an toads adventure. Those two must have been blonds. They were so dumb. http://www

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Cj4wDLF6VY A day w/ frog and toad
Big Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 02:24 AM   #5

Luctor Sad Vicious

My Mood:

44 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ndm4n2006 View Post
I am just curious. I went looking for a story that had a very profound effect on me as a child and it stuck with me. I posted in another thread something about warm, fuzzies and was reminded of the story that was behind that term. This is a story that i remember loving very much and it really affected me as a small child. Do you have any stories like this that are really important from childhood?

A Warm Fuzzy Tale
For me it's kinda the other way round. There are children's stories which have affected me profoundly as an adult.

Most notably, Where The Wild Things Are. I'm not sure if you're familiar with it, but it's all about a boy coming to terms with his anger. I've struggled since I was very little with anger and aggression. So I found the story extremely relatable.

I can't watch it without tearing up. It's one of my favourite movies too.
Luctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 07:05 AM   #6
Grand Poohbah

Big Mama has no updates.

My Mood:

374 hugs
given

Luctor I love that book. I agree. Childrens books have a bigger impact on me now then they did as a child. There are two books that come to mind.

I will love you forever, a book about how a mothers love never changes.
Love You Forever By: Robert Munsch - YouTube I will love you forever.

I cry every time I read The Giving Tree, by Shell Silverstein
It is about a tree who starts out and provides happiness for a boy, later it provides a way to swing for the boy, later it provides wood to build a house, later when the boy is old, the tree has nothing left to give. There is nothing but a stump. The man uses it for a set. It is was sad.
The Giving Tree - YouTube The Giving Tree
Unread 04-25-2013, 08:31 AM   #7
Grand Magnate
s4ndm4n2006 has no updates.

2 yr Member
349 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Well in my mind, the story I talked about still affects me but the thing is if it didn't so strongly as a child it wouldn't have stuck with me. Luctor, Big Mama, are these stories that you first heard as children like I've said and they still affect you or books/stories you didn't even read til adulthood?
s4ndm4n2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 10:17 AM   #8
Anonymous32935
Anonymous32935 has no updates. Edit

The story I mentioned truly gave me nightmares. I can't imagine being in a situation where I was forced to do something "happy" and then having to pay such an ultimate price for it. I didn't finish the story for years, and I wonder if it could have influenced my outlook as a child a little bit...."If you enjoy yourself too much or are too happy you'll ultimately pay for it." Not attempting to be negative, but that's the thought I've always come up with when reading it....but then I rarely finished it. Even when reading it now, when I looked it up and posted it, it was hard to get past her feet being amputated.
Unread 04-25-2013, 01:30 PM   #9
Grand Poohbah

Big Mama has no updates.

My Mood:

374 hugs
given

S4 the first responce included mother gooses nursury rhymes. The kids in the pictures look homeless, no one looks happy, and the kids look like there pants are on backwards. Every time my mom would read this book I would feel so bad for those poor kids. Strange how a book that was heart warming didn't stick w/ me, it was a book that was scary. Here are some pictures from that book. Turn the volume down unless you like the song twinkle twinkle little star.

The Real Mother Goose [Book Trailer] - YouTube Mother goose classics.

The other two books I mentioned were books I read as an adult. They are kids books but still made a lasting impact. I gave my grandma The book The Giving Tree. When sh was 95 yrs old, and felt like she had nothing else to offer the world. % years after her passing, it was returned to me w/ pictures of me when I was little that she had put in it, as well a cards from the past 10 years or so. Now it is espicially a book I will cherish forever.
Unread 04-25-2013, 01:34 PM   #10
Magnate

winter4me is trying to hang on to this Sweet Old World

My Mood:

522 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maranara View Post
Very good story. I apologize, but the description of the warm fuzzies reminded me of Tribbles.

Here's one from me. This story haunted me when I was little, but it's one I'll never forget.

"The Red Shoes"
Fairy tale: The Red Shoes - by author Hans Christian Andersen (short story)
ME TOO! That poor little match girl!
The Snow Queen bothered me also because the children returned as adults, no childhood.
---I read all the grimm and anderson tales....................not much warm and fuzzy there....-----------
I did want to be Gretel and push the bad witch (not realizing till later what I was thinking---our grandmother----i hope) into the oven and save my brother.
Many years later, I thought of that when he took his own life.
winter4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from: