Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Mental Health Support > Personality Place > Borderline Personality Disorder

advertisement
Unread 04-03-2013, 12:43 AM   #1
Community Support Team

shezbut is often struggling and trying to re-gain mindfulness

My Mood:

5 yr Member
10,854 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Help Addicted to lingerie - HELP!!

This is probably going to sound really stupid, but I'll say it anyway. I seriously need help here.

I am addicted to shopping Victoria's Secret online. I have a credit card with them, and am on SSI, so I have a very limited income. But, I've run into tax refunds and something else that boosted my credit limit & I now get full magazines from them 1-2 times per week! I also get several e-mails every week, as well as coupons and other goodies to keep me hooked.

I have countless nice panties, 2 or 3 teddy's, 15 + bras (in my current size) and 20 more in my past cup size. Not only that...but I've also bought shorts, blouses, pajamas, and skirts from Victoria's Secret. This is a BIG problem! I have a Secret Reward card just staring at me as I write this enticing me to buy more. OMG ~ I am BAAAADDD!! How in the world am I ever going to get past this temptation???
Unread 04-03-2013, 12:52 AM   #2
Grand Poohbah

H3rmit keeps trying.

My Mood:

1,266 hugs
given
Default Re: Addicted to lingerie - HELP!!

Rip up that reward card, set yourself an annual budget, enlist a buddy, and come up with ways to enjoy what you have.

I don't have this particular obsession, but I have others. So I hear you.
H3rmit is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 04-03-2013, 12:58 AM   #3
Community Support Team

My Mood:

5 yr Member
10,854 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I should do that ~ just rip it up and throw it away immediately. I should also delete the e-mails off my mail site as soon as I get them, rather than even look at the deals. Boy, this is really tough!!
Unread 04-03-2013, 01:17 AM   #4
who reads this, anyway?

Yoda misses Dusty :(

My Mood:

5 yr Member PC PoohBah!

I only shop there for sales. Can you set aside a small amount of $ to buy sales items occasionally?

Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 01:39 AM   #5
Community Support Team

My Mood:

5 yr Member
10,854 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Maybe Yoda. I don't know ~ I'm pretty bad!

I have a few of their sports bras too, which are really nice. Their stuff is way better than Maidenform or whatever! The issue, I think, is that I have an intense desire to be viewed as sexy (and whatever) as one of the Victoria's Secret models. A tall order, I know. So, I want to show my bf that he has his own sexy ___ to himself, no need to look elsewhere.

Know what I mean? So, by keeping up with the lingerie, I'm keeping up with how the hot models look...in my head, anyway. Does this make any sense? Is this manipulation??
Unread 04-03-2013, 02:14 AM   #6
who reads this, anyway?

Yoda misses Dusty :(

My Mood:

5 yr Member PC PoohBah!

It makes sense. Is it manipulation? Yes but it is the VS company sending you neverending catalogs to keep their lingerie in the front of your mind.

Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 04-03-2013, 02:15 AM   #7
Grand Poohbah

H3rmit keeps trying.

My Mood:

1,266 hugs
given
Thumbs up Re: Addicted to lingerie - HELP!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shezbut View Post
I should do that ~ just rip it up and throw it away immediately. I should also delete the e-mails off my mail site as soon as I get them, rather than even look at the deals. Boy, this is really tough!!
Yeah, do it! I'll give you a cheer for tearing it up and another one for each email you permanently delete. Sorry you won't be able to hear me cheering.

You could budget specific times of year when you will get a treat or however much you reasonably need, and relax knowing those days will come.

And really, is it clothes that makes anyone sexy? No, it's your brain. Clothes are just in the way.
H3rmit is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 04-03-2013, 03:27 AM   #8
Anonymous327401
Anonymous327401 has no updates. Edit

Can you block the emails? or unsubscribe to them? I have had to this on a shopping site that I was addicted to and it worked
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 04-03-2013, 03:56 AM   #9
Anonymous33170
Anonymous33170 has no updates. Edit

I can relate to that.Victoria's secret sells good quality products (compared to H&M, Aero, Navy etc) and have a large choice of sizes. I also used to have a favorite store where I would buy lingerie to reward myself for certain things. :] Maybe you could allow yourself to buy some underwear every x months? Or you could sell some of your clothes that you don't wear anymore and thus make room for new things in your closet
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 04-03-2013, 07:27 AM   #10
Anonymous32935
Anonymous32935 has no updates. Edit

Go through the trouble of stopping the subscriptions to their stuff. There should be a clickable something near the bottom of the emails. Do that for the first two or three things you get today. After that, start putting there stuff if your spam folder. Do it everytime their stuff comes up. After a bit, your computer and email provider will also recognize it as spam and it will instantly go to the folder so you don't see it.

Get rid of the reward card and anything else that makes you want to keep buying.

Yes, they are manipulating you. Why else would they continue to send you stuff? They know you'll cave! You can beat this! Maybe, once the urge is gone (which will definitely not be over night), you can budget a little bit of money on it, but right now, you need to go cold turkey.
"Thanks for this!" says: