Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Mental Health Support > Personality Place > Borderline Personality Disorder

advertisement
Unread 08-03-2010, 12:50 PM   #1

sneschalmers has no updates.

3 yr Member
Angry I don't have Borderline Personality Disorder!

So my doctor diagnosed me with borderline personality disorder just because i had some of the symptoms of it even though the symptoms I have are easily explained by my other disorders: bipolar I, Asperger's, ADHD, OCD and learning disabilities. Is there anything I can do to convince her I don't have this?
sneschalmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2010, 12:55 PM   #2

Manipulated-Minds has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
Default Re: I don't have Borderline Personality Disorder!

I doubt you could convince her otherwise. My old therapist wrongly diagnosed me with borderline personality disorder when I really had schizophrenia. We had a huge fight over it and I stopped seeing her. She didn't get me at all. I finally started seeing someone that knows what their doing and gave me the right diagnosis.
Unread 08-03-2010, 01:31 PM   #3
Pandita-in-training

Perna is feeling.

5 yr Member
349 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

With that many dx's, other than pride, I don't know why you might care. Does it change anything? If you don't like what that doctor is doing, I'd do like MM and get one that I could work with better?

I had a boyfriend who decided that when I wasn't with him, I was with some other guy. Not my problem. The dx's are for the T's/pdocs, tell more about them than us?
Unread 08-05-2010, 07:22 AM   #4

sneschalmers has no updates.

3 yr Member

manipulated minds that must be horrible to be misdiagnosed with borderline and actually have schizophrenia. i would change doctors but up until this point iv'e worked really well with mine
Unread 08-08-2010, 02:24 AM   #5
Grand Member

El-ahrairah lol...

My Mood:

3 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perna View Post
With that many dx's, other than pride, I don't know why you might care. Does it change anything? If you don't like what that doctor is doing, I'd do like MM and get one that I could work with better?

I had a boyfriend who decided that when I wasn't with him, I was with some other guy. Not my problem. The dx's are for the T's/pdocs, tell more about them than us?

it does matter and he should care especially when doctors are so eager to throw pills at you and give you cancer from those pills over a Dx gone wrong.

As for the OP, yes perna is right about getting a new dr, i would see one to make sure the first Dr is right.

El-ahrairah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2010, 05:33 AM   #6

Bipolarmother has no updates.

3 yr Member

a second opinion might be in order?? And if you still want to stay with your Dr, go ahead and challenge him/her about why they chose that diagnosis. I think sometimes they just keep adding to the list of what to diagnose for.

Lets face it, we all can exhibit a little bit of all of the mental illnesses. But not enough for a true diagnosis that fits nicely into there DSM criteria.

Do you exhibit "traits" instead of a full blown BPD diagnosis? Again, I think we can all be a little BPD at times and it is what we learn from researching and understanding that helps us, help ourselves....

Can I ask anyone what symptoms overlap a BPD and Schitzophrenia diagnosis?
Bipolarmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2010, 02:54 PM   #7
Anonymous29348
Anonymous29348 has no updates. Edit

I HATED being diagnosed Borderline. But then, I found out, most true BPD do resist and hate it! I went in one hospital Bipolar 1 with psychotic episodes, and came out the same diagnosis, PLUS Borderline Personality Disorder. I couldn't believe it and rejected it completely for years. I asked all of my doctors to make it a second tier diagnosis, not my main diagnosis which is absolutely acceptable and I might even suggest to you to do. Later I found an OUTSTANDING psychiatrist I truly trusted. He did have a talk explaining things to me. This is what I found out:

By definition, Borderline Personality Disorder, is a very sad disorder. Most people seem to think it's about being angry. I knew I wanted nothing to do with it!!!!!! Then I found out that it merely means that something happened in your childhood that made you adopt unhealthy coping skills. As one gets older, those unhealthy childhood coping skills no longer work as an adult with other adults. The tricky part is, one has to unlearn those unhealthy skills and learn new healthy ones in place and that are adult. It demands compassion, unlike what many people seem to think of borderline...

Whatever happens, it's always important to have compassion with any disorder. I hope things work out, and you find peace - with whatever your diagnoses are or are not.

Wildflower88
Unread 08-31-2010, 02:07 PM   #8
Veteran Member
lotusflames has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member

at the end of the day, does it matter?
lotusflames is offline   Reply With Quote