Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Mental Health Support > Bipolar

advertisement
Unread 02-04-2014, 01:23 PM   #51

Beepee has no updates.

My Mood:

Default Re: Ashamed of being bipolar.

I am not ashamed of myself or my disorder. If people do not accept me it is their ignorance and their problem. That is why they reject you because they fear what they do not know. The essence of Prejudice. Give them some education sbout the disorder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unread 02-04-2014, 06:35 PM   #52
metamorphosist
Chat Leader

wing is revising her worldview.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
1,387 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I agree with you, beepee, except for the part about educating people. On a 1:1 basis I've found people to become even more prejudiced. I think the national groups are doing a great job and should support them more than I do. I don't share my diagnosis with anyone because it's none of their business. There is so much support out there from people who understand (because they,too, live with MI) that I blow off the ones who don't and let them label me as eccentric instead of mentally ill. Seems most people like to stick labels on each other. I isolate because of it...I know I'm a bit off-putting in my ups or downs.
wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2014, 06:57 PM   #53

Mandysue Going against the odds!

My Mood:

11 hugs
given

mental illness have such a stigma and people judge...only a few people know about my bi polar...

Mandy
Mandysue is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Unread 02-04-2014, 08:02 PM   #54

charo224488 has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
141 hugs
given

Today reminded me, I'm not only ashamed of my disorder, I'm also frequently ashamed of myself and my actions. I went to the dr. today and I'm manic. I tried to talk very little but he knows me, got me to start talking and I couldn't stop and just rambled about so many things that I shouldn't have said. I noticed him and the nurse looking at eachother like, 'oh my, she is nuts'. Then it hit me how crazy I must seem to him and others. I think I'm in the same league, friends even, with people who must just think I'm delusional and must sigh with relief when I leave. I am so ashamed. How can I go back? I have a FU in 2 wks b/c my new med is giving me a rash. I'm such an idiot.
Unread 02-05-2014, 01:59 PM   #55
runfarawway has no updates.

My Mood:

13 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by charo224488 View Post
Today reminded me, I'm not only ashamed of my disorder, I'm also frequently ashamed of myself and my actions. I went to the dr. today and I'm manic. I tried to talk very little but he knows me, got me to start talking and I couldn't stop and just rambled about so many things that I shouldn't have said. I noticed him and the nurse looking at eachother like, 'oh my, she is nuts'. Then it hit me how crazy I must seem to him and others. I think I'm in the same league, friends even, with people who must just think I'm delusional and must sigh with relief when I leave. I am so ashamed. How can I go back? I have a FU in 2 wks b/c my new med is giving me a rash. I'm such an idiot.
sorry you feel like this also, like you I am also ashamed of myself, I don't know how to go about changing my mindset, I hate feeling like this, I hope your appointment goes ok.
runfarawway is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Unread 02-05-2014, 08:13 PM   #56

awebb198488 I can only make one person happy per day. Today I choose me.

My Mood:

2 yr Member
77 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by runfarawway View Post
Hi everyone
I know this sounds bad, but have recently been diagnosed bipolar and borderline personality disorder, all I feel is totally ashamed of myself, I just can't seem to accept that its not my fault, what made it worse is I told a few friends, now they don't want to know me.
I just want to crawl into a corner and never come out.
I am newly diagnosed and working hard to accept my diagnosis and not be ashamed too. Just give yourself time and know that none of this is your fault Also, I'm sorry your so-called "friends" treated you that way. I am sure there are plenty of people out there that will be there for you and want to know the terrific person I'm sure you are. Hang in there
GAD

CURRENT MEDS:
Effexor 225 mg/day
Geodon 80 mg/day
Buspar 20 mg/day
awebb198488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:
Unread 02-05-2014, 08:14 PM   #57

awebb198488 I can only make one person happy per day. Today I choose me.

My Mood:

2 yr Member
77 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandysue View Post
mental illness have such a stigma and people judge...only a few people know about my bi polar...
It does doesn't it? We wouldn't be ashamed if we were physically ill would we?
GAD

CURRENT MEDS:
Effexor 225 mg/day
Geodon 80 mg/day
Buspar 20 mg/day
awebb198488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:
Unread 02-05-2014, 11:16 PM   #58
Poohbah

Cocosurviving has no updates.

My Mood:

2 yr Member
92 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by wing View Post
runfaraway, accepting your diagnosis takes time. losing friends happens to some of us, too. people fear what they don't understand.

therapy will help you deal with your new diagnosis. learning to call it a disease that you have instead of defining yourself by it comes in time.

my sympathies. It was 25 years ago that i was first diagnosed and i still remember what an upheaval it caused in my self image. you CAN live with BP and live your life just the way you planned.
ITA. I was diagnosed in 2012 and it turned my world upside down. I did not have bipolar all my life I was a late bloomer. It took me by storm too. I had to process it all and I did it with therapy. I was pissed at my family too b/c mental illness ran in our family and they kept it a secret. I had to work through that in therapy too. I'm in a better place now b/c of therapy. I did lose friends, close friends along the way. Well ppl I "thought" were close friends. I thoughts of them as family but they left me and it hurt. But it did not kill me it made me stronger. I'm very careful on how I tell b/c ppl judge "EVEN" family.

Stop trying to hold onto the past. Ė You canít start the next chapter of your life if you keep re-reading your last

DX:Bipolar 1 and panic attacks
Current meds:Lithium 900MG
Lamictal 100MG
Topamax 400MG
Cocosurviving is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Unread 02-06-2014, 08:28 AM   #59

FaithlessCat Personal Jukebox Currently Playing : Disturbed - Haunted

My Mood:

5 hugs
given

I'm not ashamed of it, I just wish I could shut my mouth I am sure people would like and accept me more if when they ask how I am I didnt go off into full blown information about my Bipolar etc.

Every day I think ... right, I am just going to smile and answer politely, try to be calm and not over share .... every day its an epic fail and I end up regretting some conversation or other.

600mg Tegretol
Tapering off Venlafaxine
FaithlessCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:
Unread 02-06-2014, 08:55 AM   #60
Grand Magnate

A Red Panda can't sleep, clown will eat me!

My Mood:

816 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Are you currently in a (hypo)manic episode FC?

I always overshare when I'm hypo. Without fail. Everyone will know alllll about how much sleep I'm not getting or if I keep forgetting to eat or what I was doing on the weekend or if I was feeling ill and allll sorts of stuff.

And I now have 7 coworkers who all know of my diagnosis. 7! And I almost blurted it out to a few others but fortunately my flag of "no, not trustworthy!" came to mind so I didn't.

"I have a problem with low self-esteem. Which is really ridiculous when you consider how amazing I am.

A Red Panda is online now   Reply With Quote
Hugs from: