Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Mental Health Support > Bipolar

advertisement
Unread 08-30-2013, 09:47 AM   #1
Grand Member

comicgeek007 is mourning a fictional character's imminent death.

My Mood:

2 yr Member
145 hugs
given
Default starting to doubt diagnosis

Maybe I'm just back in denial, but I've been doing really well for the past month and I'm wondering if maybe I had just been over-sensitive, melodramatic , or something like that and not bipolar. Pretty much as soon as I started back on my meds I stopped taking them again. I honestly don't notice a mood difference on vs off now. So it's like, why would I take in chemicals that don't appear to be doing anything? Bipolar's supposed to be hard to diagnose, right? Maybe I over exaggerated. Maybe the doctors were searching for something that wasn't there. Maybe I thought I wanted them to. Who even knows. All I know is I'm feeling pretty good.

100mg Lamictal
comicgeek007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:
Unread 08-30-2013, 10:11 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Speed3 BE WHO YOU ARE BECAUSE THOSE WHO MIND DON't MATTER AND THOSE WHO MATTER DON't MIND

My Mood:

91 hugs
given
Default Re: starting to doubt diagnosis

I know over the years I have doubted my diagnosis. It usually happens when I am stable or hypomanic. But I am much older then you.

I wasn't diagnosed until I was in my early 40's and I am 57 now.
I had a long depressive phase as a teen, but then was free of symptoms until my late 30's. It wasn't until I had a clear cut Manic episode that I received the diagnosis.

I think if you have had a manic episode than you most certainly have bipolar. But over the last couple of years I have read that bipolar is being over diagnosed. I have seen it as an inpatient, it seems everyone gets a bipolar diagnosis. I always wonder how these doctors can diagnosis it when they have only seen the person for 5 days.

I know when you are feeling good it seems weird taking these major psychotropic meds and all their side effects. But if you do have Bipolar sometimes stopping your meds can be disastrous.

On the other hand there are a lot of people on here that control their disorder without prescription meds.

JASON 8/17/1985 to 1/03/2013

I miss you sweetheart
Speed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2013, 10:53 AM   #3
antimonos has no updates.

My Mood:

2 yr Member
1 hugs
given

I too had a diagnosis of bipolar and have come to doubt it. I was diagnosed in 1999 and I think that was because of some depression and some hypomania. Since changing my GP, I have never once brought up the diagnosis and my GP thinks that its just low mood. I kind of agree with him.

I think bipolar is overdiagnosed in a lot of cases. I have a friend who was diagnosed as having bipolar and even spent time on admission only to find out that she had Grave's Disease.
antimonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2013, 11:21 AM   #4
Anonymous100110
Anonymous100110 has no updates. Edit

Bipolar disorder is cyclical. I've gone several months at a time quite stable and then went back into an episode. Currently I have been stable since late April. You generally don't stay symptomatic 100% of the time.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 08-30-2013, 11:49 AM   #5

Skittles56 Life wouldn't be life without the speed bumps.

My Mood:

I didn't start seriously questioning my diagnosis until I started following this forum. My doctor diagnosed me in one meeting. He did the DSM IV interview with me and told me there were some number of points that he needed for a diagnosis and that I had given him 3 more than were necessary. Then we discussed medication options.

That being said, the diagnosis clearly fits my behavior as a child and over the last ten years. The medication has also leveled me out.
Skittles56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2013, 02:36 PM   #6
Poohbah

wildflowerchild25 has no updates.

My Mood:

362 hugs
given

Well i clearly remember one hypomanic episode you had where you didn't sleep for 36 hours because you felt you didn't need it... that was back when i first started coming to the forums. so it's possible you do have it.

that being said, if you feel good without meds, then i wouldn't even worry about it right now. bipolar is just a label and that label does not define who you are. so if you feel good now, i would concentrate on that, and not worry about whether you fit the diagnosis or not. just watch for signs of hypomania such as not sleeping for long periods of time, because that could be dangerous. good luck to you! I hope school has started well for you.

(i also think bipolar is the new borderline and it is way overdiagnosed, but that's my own personal opinion).

Sit back, take a breath, from your gut not your chest, and realize that you're ok.
-The Expendables

And I believe that every broken bone is meant to be, because when it heals it will be stronger than it was before.
-Streetlight Manifesto
wildflowerchild25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2013, 02:44 PM   #7
Elder

~Christina is doing.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
1,973 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Comic .. dont rock the boat right now... your just now back in school if you still feel this way in 6 months try the med free approarch then , not now.
Unread 08-30-2013, 03:37 PM   #8
Elder

Miguel'smom I shouldn't this broken

My Mood:

2 yr Member
1,828 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Right now I think you should stay on meds and continue with therapy. Talk to your T about what she sees in you that helped Pdoc dx you. I constantly have to talk to my T about meds and my Dx. Have you had a complete psych. evaluation? They take a good 4+ hours. If not please ask you therapist for a referral for evaluation.
Son- mood disorder nos, adhd & aspergers

Your stronger then you think.
Camp
Miguel'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2013, 05:20 PM   #9
Magnate
Confusedinomicon has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
141 hugs
given

I agree with Christina. I doubt my diagnosis all the time to be honest. I've talked to my doctor and he finally told me its a mood disorder coupled with anxiety. You may not have bipolar but it doesn't mean you should stop seeing your doctor or discontinue medication. Its better to do what Christina says. Wait until midterms to see if you're experiencing a stress related disorder if anything. It can also help you know if its cyclical.
Confusedinomicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2013, 05:30 PM   #10
Grand Poohbah

Supanova has no updates.

My Mood:

816 hugs
given

I've had these thoughts too. I read back over my journals of the bad times, and talk to my support network. They always remind me that I need to stay on my meds, even if I feel this way.
Supanova is offline   Reply With Quote