Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Mental Health Support > Bipolar

advertisement
Unread 05-12-2013, 11:30 AM   #11

LucidLucy Feeling ok

My Mood:

15 hugs
given
Default Re: Does bipolar get worse with age?

I wasn't diagnosed until I was over 50. Because I was hospitalized twice in two years I had access to numerous therapists and psychiatrists and I asked every one of them how I could reach such an advanced age without having a clue that I suffered from bipolar disorder.

Everyone of them answered that without treatment the disorder will generally get worse with age.
LucidLucy is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 05-12-2013, 03:11 PM   #12
Magnate

BipolaRNurse is at a crossroads.

My Mood:

2 yr Member
2,072 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucidLucy View Post
I wasn't diagnosed until I was over 50. Because I was hospitalized twice in two years I had access to numerous therapists and psychiatrists and I asked every one of them how I could reach such an advanced age without having a clue that I suffered from bipolar disorder.

Everyone of them answered that without treatment the disorder will generally get worse with age.
You too, huh? Glad I'm not the only one to be "the last to know". Everyone else in my family and inner circle had it figured out since I was in my 20s, but didn't know "it" had a name. Now we do, but it was almost too late by the time I got into treatment......I've struggled badly with it since I was diagnosed, and I think it's because I went so long without being treated for it properly.

But, there's hope for me yet; after all, I'm on a fair amount of meds but there is plenty of room to titrate up if the illness continues to progress, and I have an excellent pdoc who's on top of everything.

Dx: Bipolar 1
Meds: Lamictal 300 mg
Celexa 5 mg
Geodon 80 mg
Zyprexa 5 mg
Klonopin 0.5 mg
Ativan 1 mg PRN

Please come visit me @ http://bpnurse.com
BipolaRNurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 05:04 PM   #13
Poohbah
ultramar has no updates.

276 hugs
given

I do believe that it can get worse if a bipolar patient refuses to see a psychiatrist and refuses all efforts at medication to assist with blood brain chemistry.

I think this is one reason it can get worse with age, but not the only one. No doubt plenty of people see their psychiatrists regularly and take their meds and despite their best efforts, their condition worsens. I suspect that more often than not, it is not the patient's 'fault' in this respect.
ultramar is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 05-12-2013, 05:35 PM   #14
Wise Elder

Arethusa has no updates.

My Mood:

388 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Everybody is different because we all have different situations that we have to face and different ways to face them.
Arethusa is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 05-12-2013, 11:32 PM   #15
anonymous8113
anonymous8113 has no updates. Edit

Quote:
Originally Posted by BipolaRNurse View Post
You too, huh? Glad I'm not the only one to be "the last to know". Everyone else in my family and inner circle had it figured out since I was in my 20s, but didn't know "it" had a name. Now we do, but it was almost too late by the time I got into treatment......I've struggled badly with it since I was diagnosed, and I think it's because I went so long without being treated for it properly.

But, there's hope for me yet; after all, I'm on a fair amount of meds but there is plenty of room to titrate up if the illness continues to progress, and I have an excellent pdoc who's on top of everything.

And having a psychiatrist who's on top of everything is a real gift, in my view. That can make a world of difference, and it isn't easy to be one who is on top of all of it in this day and age.
Thanks for this.
Unread 05-12-2013, 11:37 PM   #16
crazymusiclvr has no updates.

My Mood:

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bos314489 View Post
Does anyone know if this is true? I seem to be having more trouble with depression now in my 40s and becoming more med resistant. I had my hormones checked and I am not going through menopause so it is not that. I have been resistant to so many meds but the only thing I haven't tried is a maoi. I am hoping maybe this will be the miracle drug. Right now I am on lamictal and cymbalta. It kept me stable for years but now seems to have stopped working? Any experiences?
I am only 30 but i think bipolar doesn't get worse which age as much as with STRESS.
crazymusiclvr is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 05-12-2013, 11:58 PM   #17
Magnate

BipolaRNurse is at a crossroads.

My Mood:

2 yr Member
2,072 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymusiclvr View Post
I am only 30 but i think bipolar doesn't get worse which age as much as with STRESS.
You may feel differently when you're 50. But you are 100% correct that stress makes bipolar worse!

Dx: Bipolar 1
Meds: Lamictal 300 mg
Celexa 5 mg
Geodon 80 mg
Zyprexa 5 mg
Klonopin 0.5 mg
Ativan 1 mg PRN

Please come visit me @ http://bpnurse.com
BipolaRNurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 06:41 AM   #18
Magnate

BlackPup is getting better!!!

My Mood:

3 yr Member
595 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I've read in a number of places that it gets worse with age especially if untreated. I have also heard that comorbitities like BPD get better with age and I have certainly learnt to deal with stress and my emotions better as I have aged so I don't get triggered by that anymore.

Genetic; I hope you are right and that they develop a cure for it during my lifetime, or at least during my son's.