Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Mental Health Support > Bipolar

advertisement
Unread 04-28-2013, 07:10 PM   #1

manicdepressive07 has no updates.

My Mood:

4 hugs
given
Question Sleeping A LOT, does that mean depressed?

So I've been medicated for about 4 months now and I feel great Not in a manic way, but I just feel "normal" I guess. My moods are almost completely stable and I really only get manic if I miss a dose of my meds, drink, or both. (So I obv tend to avoid those situations.)

Anyway, I've been sleeping A LOT. Like 12-14 hour nights, with random naps during the day. And the weird thing is, my meds are mildly stimulating (plus I take adderall for my ADHD) so I don't really "sleep" when I go lay down to take naps. I just kind of lay there because it's comfortable and I'm bored and don't know what else to do with myself. (I'm not working right now either, my days definitely lack structure).

I can't tell if I'm depressed or not... all I know is that I'd rather sleep (or at least try to) than do most things. If I get even the slightest bit anxious, tired, bored, or whatever... I'll crawl into bed and close my eyes. I say it's kind of like my "meditation" time, because I don't really sleep when I go lay down, it's more of something I do for comfort, not because I'm actually tired. Does this make sense? Does anyone else sleep this much? Do you feel it's because you're depressed or just bored, or something else? Thanks!
manicdepressive07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 07:17 PM   #2
Poohbah

wildflowerchild25 has no updates.

My Mood:

404 hugs
given
Default Re: Sleeping A LOT, does that mean depressed?

Boredom can definitely do it. May try to pick up a hobby or do some volunteer work just to have something to do. It could be the beginning of a depressed episode or like you said just boredom. I would just do some watchful waiting and see how it progresses. But do try to find some reason to stay out of bed - that much inactivity is probably not the best idea. Though I am no expert!
Wellbutrin xl 300mg

Sit back, take a breath, from your gut not your chest, and realize that you're ok.
-The Expendables

And I believe that every broken bone is meant to be, because when it heals it will be stronger than it was before.
-Streetlight Manifesto
wildflowerchild25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 07:33 PM   #3
Poohbah

Cocosurviving has no updates.

My Mood:

2 yr Member
92 hugs
given

I agree w/ wild flower and would make the same suggestions.
I agree from personal experience. I was inside a lot and
depression started to set in. I found a few things
in the community to do (ceramics, quilting and computer classes).

Stop trying to hold onto the past. – You can’t start the next chapter of your life if you keep re-reading your last

DX:Bipolar 1 and panic attacks
Current meds:Lithium 900MG
Lamictal 100MG
Topamax 400MG
Cocosurviving is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 08:20 PM   #4

My Mood:

4 hugs
given

great advice, thanks! I really do need a hobby, I'm just not very good at anything :/ lol
Unread 04-28-2013, 09:40 PM   #5
Elder

Moose72 Tangled in Titilating Typing

My Mood:

5 yr Member
304 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I was like this a month ago. My t suggested activating. So now I try to have errands to do or meet with a friend. I was depressed for six weeks and even the other day caught myself wanting to be in bed all day again.

Schizoaffective bipolar 1 type
Lithium carbonate
Zyprexa
Topomax
Latuda
Moose72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 09:47 PM   #6
Poohbah
ultramar has no updates.

276 hugs
given

Hi -I think you'd know if you were really depressed -very sad, hopeless, don't enjoy things normally enjoy, etc. You seem to have given the reasons why you're doing this -it sounds like a self-soothing kind of thing, we all have our methods, though also seems to be out of boredom. Maybe you could make a list of activities you'd like to do in a given day to give yourself the motivation to stay out of bed and do stuff. Good luck.
ultramar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 09:54 PM   #7
~ * ~ Grand Bananas ~ * ~

BlueInanna help..

My Mood:

2 yr Member
3,138 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

This could be sluggish liver. Drinking unfiltered apple juice firsthand thing in morning is great and lemon water helps. The psych meds and adderall are taxing on the liver. I used to take a break from adderall periodically so that it would work again when I'd take it. I haven't taken it in months now though. I find that fresh juicing carrots beets ginger etc. give me a natural bump of energy. Pdoc explained it to me other day has to do with the antioxidants.
Unread 04-28-2013, 10:03 PM   #8
camperdude90 has no updates.

Dude,

If I may ask... What meds are you on and when and what was your previous med change? it sounds like a partial relapse, but it could be tolerance too.

During the day, do you feel mildly lazy?

I have been through a lot and I can tell pretty quickly whats going on. Meds aren't the only solution, but they play a big part in how you feel.
camperdude90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 10:19 PM   #9

My Mood:

4 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by camperdude90 View Post
Dude,

If I may ask... What meds are you on and when and what was your previous med change? it sounds like a partial relapse, but it could be tolerance too.

During the day, do you feel mildly lazy?

I have been through a lot and I can tell pretty quickly whats going on. Meds aren't the only solution, but they play a big part in how you feel.
I'm on Saphris and I take 2.5 in the morning and 2.5 at night which changed from taking 5mg nightly a few weeks ago. (Did this because taking it all at night was too stimulating, I would get restless leg and was having trouble falling asleep).

And yes, I feel mildly lazy EVERYDAY... I just have the mental block of really wanting to do anything, fun stuff, chores, whatever it be, i'd rather sleep lol... and Idk if I'd call it depression cuz I'm not exactly "sad" more just calm, bored, and "zoned out" if that makes any sense.

But also I wanted to say I love my meds! If I go a day without taking them, or sometimes even miss one does, I feel like a crazy person haha. I get very manic, irritable, anxious, impatient, etc.... my meds keep me "normal". I think i'm just bored and sleep a lot because I have nothing TO do with my day, I don't work and I only take night classes 3x a week so my day is primarily spent sleeping, watching tv, and being on the internet.

I know I need a hobby... I've been meaning to make a "vision board" collage out of magazines and internet pics... something to do that will give me motivation for a "better" happier, healthier life.