Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Mental Health Support > Bipolar



advertisement
Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-24-2013, 10:47 PM   #1
Member
 
nicole84's Avatar
nicole84 has no updates.
 
Member Since: Feb 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 357
5 yr Member
24 hugs
given
Default Bipolar and Prozac

Didn't know whether to put this in the medication section or bipolar but figured more bipolar people would see it here. I've been on Prozac at 20mg for about 6 months now, mostly by itself with diazepam when I need it. During this time I also started to slip pretty badly, got addicted to pain meds to 'numb' out all the feelings and my mind constantly racing.

Then I quit those meds 3 weeks ago and I'm back to feeling everything, not sleeping, agitated, depressed, basically fluctuating like crazy. I've been warned before that Prozac is bad for insomnia, and most nights I'm sleeping 3 hours if that.

I've been taking seroquel again, but the last time I was on it, it didn't seem to help much at all and made me a zombie. Now it only gives me a few hours sleep but helps my mood.

Kinda feels like I need to be off the Prozac, it's a pity depression is such a huge part of my cycling though sigh.
nicole84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2013, 11:10 PM   #2
Legendary
 
hamster-bamster's Avatar
hamster-bamster wish me luck!
 
Member Since: Sep 2011
Location: Northern California
Posts: 14,329 (SuperPoster!)
My Mood:

3 yr Member
3,608 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Bipolar and Prozac

Prozac should be taken first thing in the morning to prevent the insomnia side effect. Is that how you have been taking it?
__________________
Welcome to my Living Well No Matter What blog:

http://livingwellnomatterwhat.wordpress.com/
hamster-bamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2013, 11:32 PM   #3
Magnate
 
BipolaRNurse's Avatar
BipolaRNurse is moving, but she knows not where.
 
Member Since: Mar 2012
Location: Out of my ever-lovin' mind!
Posts: 2,407 (SuperPoster!)
My Mood:

2 yr Member
2,175 hugs
given
Default Re: Bipolar and Prozac

Unfortunately, antidepressants without a mood stabilizer to buffer them tend to make us manic. You may need something like Lamictal to balance things out; some of us (as you can see in my signature) need several drugs to manage our illness. But the only way to know is to see a psychiatrist or psych nurse practitioner who knows what he or she is doing---don't expect your GP to manage something as complicated as bipolar disorder. Hope you get more responses here, and best of luck.
__________________
Never mind walking a mile in my shoes, try thinking a day in my head.

Dx: Bipolar 1 with severe depression; Anxiety
Meds: Lamictal 400 mg
Celexa 5 mg
Geodon 80 mg
Zyprexa 7.5 mg
Klonopin 0.5 mg
Ativan 1 mg PRN

Please come visit me @ http://bpnurse.com
BipolaRNurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2013, 11:49 PM   #4
Poohbah
 
cocoabeans's Avatar
cocoabeans My modified Status
 
Member Since: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,122
My Mood:

2 yr Member
Default Re: Bipolar and Prozac

Prozac was the first psychiatric medication I tried in combination with trazodone. That is if you don't count a single dose of Ativan given to me in the ER the night before seeing the psychiatrist.

It was awful and yet a lot of fun too. I was on 20 mg at first and felt very strange, unable to sleep at all, my thoughts raced a lot and I'd find myself crying and laughing hysterically at the same time a lot. Told the psychiatrist when he had his follow up with me after about a month and he doubled the dosage, switched me from trazodone to remeron, told me that I was whining too much for a girl from a upper middle class family and that I should be thankful I'm not starving in the streets in India.

Well, 40 mg was worse than 20 mg and things spiraled quickly. I was seeing things, hearing things, still not sleeping regularly. I lost weight. I started drinking a lot just to get myself to sit still. I was in university so I'd show up to class with a bottle of coke spiked with rum and sit in the back. I couldn't sit still otherwise and I didn't know what else to do given the doctor I had. I mean, I was seeing a specialist. I was diagnosed with bipolar. I was doing what he said and getting worse. I was convinced he was out to get me and wanted me dead or locked up in the hospital so he could abuse me further. He was rather fascinated with my sex life at the time and not in way that he was trying to see if I was hyper sexual, in the way that gives any woman the creeps.

Eventually I ended up trying to commit suicide and quit Prozac and didn't see another doctor for many years. I learne a good lesson about trusting your psychiatrist though.
__________________
cocoabeans is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 02-25-2013, 12:09 AM   #5
Elder
 
Miguel'smom's Avatar
Miguel'smom I shouldn't this broken
 
Member Since: Apr 2012
Location: Earth
Posts: 6,182 (SuperPoster!)
My Mood:

2 yr Member
1,943 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Bipolar and Prozac

Prozac made me manic even w. lamictal.
__________________
Dx:
Me- Bipolar 1 w. Psychosis
Husband- Bipolar 1 w. Rapid cycling & OCD
Son- Impulse control disorder nos


You are irreplaceable, even if you don't value yourself. -Blitter
Miguel'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2013, 12:47 AM   #6
Member
 
nicole84's Avatar
nicole84 has no updates.
 
Member Since: Feb 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 357
5 yr Member
24 hugs
given
Smile Re: Bipolar and Prozac

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamster-bamster View Post
Prozac should be taken first thing in the morning to prevent the insomnia side effect. Is that how you have been taking it?
Yes, every morning for 6 months. Except yesterday cos I was curious what would happen. I actually slept last night...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoabeans View Post
Prozac was the first psychiatric medication I tried in combination with trazodone. That is if you don't count a single dose of Ativan given to me in the ER the night before seeing the psychiatrist.

It was awful and yet a lot of fun too. I was on 20 mg at first and felt very strange, unable to sleep at all, my thoughts raced a lot and I'd find myself crying and laughing hysterically at the same time a lot. Told the psychiatrist when he had his follow up with me after about a month and he doubled the dosage, switched me from trazodone to remeron, told me that I was whining too much for a girl from a upper middle class family and that I should be thankful I'm not starving in the streets in India.

Well, 40 mg was worse than 20 mg and things spiraled quickly. I was seeing things, hearing things, still not sleeping regularly. I lost weight. I started drinking a lot just to get myself to sit still. I was in university so I'd show up to class with a bottle of coke spiked with rum and sit in the back. I couldn't sit still otherwise and I didn't know what else to do given the doctor I had. I mean, I was seeing a specialist. I was diagnosed with bipolar. I was doing what he said and getting worse. I was convinced he was out to get me and wanted me dead or locked up in the hospital so he could abuse me further. He was rather fascinated with my sex life at the time and not in way that he was trying to see if I was hyper sexual, in the way that gives any woman the creeps.

Eventually I ended up trying to commit suicide and quit Prozac and didn't see another doctor for many years. I learne a good lesson about trusting your psychiatrist though.
You sound similar to me!! In the sense of using other things to 'medicate' yourself to feel sane. I was using pain meds and also still use alcohol. About the only two things that seem to make me feel 'ok' The opiates made me numb so I didn't feel completely bat **** which was nice for awhile until it started making me hear things and feel out of reality. I do need to find a good psych, unfortunately haven't yet and there's a waiting list. But I'm seeing my regular doc tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel'smom View Post
Prozac made me manic even w. lamictal.
I have been hearing that A LOT!

Thanks for all your fast replies

I know I need to find a good pdoc, I haven't as yet and it's hard with waiting lists. The last one I saw that diagnosed me a year ago I hated, she was only interested in monotherapy and didn't treat other conditions that I have so I'm going to find a new one. I am seeing my gp tomorrow who has at least the knowledge of mental health and generally listens to what I think I should be doing. Right now I'm thinking it's the Prozac. Actually been thinking that awhile. As soon as I stopped abusing the pain meds my mind has just been back to a jumbled up and down mess.
nicole84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2013, 09:32 PM   #7
Poohbah
 
cocoabeans's Avatar
cocoabeans My modified Status
 
Member Since: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,122
My Mood:

2 yr Member
Default Re: Bipolar and Prozac

Self medicating isn't anything uncommon. It's quite the natural and rational thing to do. In most situations taking care of yourself is what's needed. The problems occur when what youre using makes things worse and you lack that insight or youre prone to addiction. Thankfully I'm not.
__________________
cocoabeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2013, 09:39 PM   #8
Veteran Member
 
Lillyleaf's Avatar
Lillyleaf has no updates.
 
Member Since: Feb 2010
Location: Lost :)
Posts: 653
My Mood:

3 yr Member
136 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Bipolar and Prozac

The depressing thing I find is if my mania symptoms didn't result in such bad affects I would have easily been stuck on antidepressents that put me in mania and mix episodes stages. I first started off with prozac and trazadone too they are common mixes, however I found my expereince that they were not helpful. Because I was bipolar they gave me side effects that caused me to give up on them. After that I was put on Celexa another antiperessent and that was even worce.

Prozac is one of the most effective drugs when treating DEPRESSION, but without a mood stablizer along with it, someone with bipolar can have issues.

Just my thoughts,

Lillyleaf
__________________
I hope,
I dream,
I wish,
for a better tomorrow.....
Lillyleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2013, 12:23 AM   #9
~ * ~ Grand Bananas ~ * ~
 
BlueInanna's Avatar
BlueInanna help..
 
Member Since: Dec 2011
Location: Left edge
Posts: 4,391 (SuperPoster!)
My Mood:

2 yr Member
3,138 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Bipolar and Prozac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoabeans View Post
Self medicating isn't anything uncommon. It's quite the natural and rational thing to do. In most situations taking care of yourself is what's needed. The problems occur when what youre using makes things worse and you lack that insight or youre prone to addiction. Thankfully I'm not.
Yikes. Self-medicating with drugs or alcohol is a dangerous way to cope with bp symptoms. They really can lead to bigger problems and most people will lie to themselves to rationalize their behavior. Most people won't realize they're addicted until they're addicted. Im not the addictive type either (wheres my smokes anyway?). Be safe, I hope you will have good results with the Prozac.
__________________
___________________________________
BlueInanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2013, 08:33 AM   #10
Junior Member
 
squishygoboom's Avatar
squishygoboom is anxious
 
Member Since: Feb 2013
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 17
My Mood:

Default Re: Bipolar and Prozac

I've always been taught in my Psychopathology and Psychopharmacology classes (I'm one of those--drawn to the Psychology field, fascinated by moods and disorders and then diagnosed with a disorder myself later) that antidepressants without a mood stabilizer can make BP patients manic. You should also slowly come off medications; you should never suddenly stop a medication (or drug when detoxing).

I don't know what the protocol is in Australia, but have you ever looked into going to a psychiatric hospital (if you feel that you are getting worse)? I went to the hospital a few months ago for "Postpartum Depression". They stabilized me (or so they thought, because they put me on Zoloft, which sent me flying) and when I was discharged, the social worker who was working my case was required to set me up with a psychiatrist appointment 2 weeks after my discharge to check in on my medication and to give me another prescription. This is how I got my proper diagnosis of Bipolar Disorder and we are now riding the medication merry-go-round to find the right ones for me.
squishygoboom is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® — Copyright © 2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

advertisement

 

The material on this site is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice,
diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider.
Always consult your doctor or mental health professional before trying anything you read here.

 

HomeAbout UsContact UsPrivacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer
Forums HomeCommunity Guidelines Help

Helplines and Lifelines
eTrust Pro Certified