Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Mental Health Support > Bipolar

advertisement
Unread 01-23-2013, 12:32 PM   #1
tired all the time has no updates.

My Mood:

Default bipolar and tired too much

I was diagnosed with Bipolar 2 about ten years ago. I am pretty stable and have a good life. But, I had to leave my teaching job two years ago. I was too tired after school to do anything else. A stressful situation helped to cause me to loose quick recall of names and organizational skills went down, both toxic to teaching. I do better not working and I am lucky to have the option financially. I am pursuing some artistic things that I always wanted to do so I am very content with my life.

My health history
I had grand mal seizures as an infant that were controlled with Dilantin successfully. I was weaned off at age eight. Then I got severe migraines which they could no nothing for in the 70's. They are rare now but triggered by perfume smells and NutraSweet.
My main complaint is tiredness. I plan my life around naps most days. I am concerned that there is something being missed with my health. I did have a sleep study, which satisfied my Dr. But I think there may be a correlation between epilepsy and tired spells. Sometime I become so tired, suddenly and feel like I need to sleep NOW> I fight to stay awake at the movies. Working on the computer and reading make me tired too. Seems to go along with concentrating somehow. It has happened when I was driving home from teaching little ones and I had to try hard to stay awake. Thankfully I was almost home. After one of these extreme sleep spells I get a funny feeling in the front of my head, behind forehead. It is similar to the "auras???" that I got before and after migraine headaches mostly as a child. I would love to figure this out for the sake of my family. They do get annoyed with me being tired and sometime having to have these extreme naps. Any thoughts??
tired all the time is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2013, 11:04 PM   #2
Free to live
Super Moderator
Community Support Team

tigergirl Is getting ready for Christmas

My Mood:

3 yr Member
5,987 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: bipolar and tired too much

Welcome to PC I would be trying different doctors and trying to find out what is going on. What has your current doctor said about any possible relationship between the epilepsy and the tiredness?

tigergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 01-23-2013, 11:39 PM   #3
Account Suspended
hamster-bamster wish me luck!

My Mood:

3 yr Member
3,828 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

This must be very difficult to handle. I believe it is more likely a complex neurological issue than a psychiatric one.
hamster-bamster is online now   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 01-24-2013, 06:00 AM   #4
Magnate

BlackPup is getting better!!!

My Mood:

3 yr Member
595 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I would also be looking for an organic cause rather than psychological. Are you on any meds? I presume they have tested iron, vitamin d, thyroid, etc. I don't know if you have it over there but we have some viruses that cause fatigue. Also there is chronic fatigue syndrome.
If everything else is ruled out think about if you are mildly depressed cos that can present as tiredness too.
Unread 01-24-2013, 06:45 AM   #5
Grand Poohbah

bluemountains has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
299 hugs
given

I have had similar problems with certain meds; however, it was a simple solution just to have a med change. I agree with BlackPup in having a series of tests run. Personally, I take meds/supplements for thyroid problems and lack of vit. D. It may not just be your nervous system that is causing your problems.
Good luck!
Bluemountains
bluemountains is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2013, 08:26 AM   #6
buzzie729 has no updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tired all the time View Post
I was diagnosed with Bipolar 2 about ten years ago. I am pretty stable and have a good life. But, I had to leave my teaching job two years ago. I was too tired after school to do anything else. A stressful situation helped to cause me to loose quick recall of names and organizational skills went down, both toxic to teaching. I do better not working and I am lucky to have the option financially. I am pursuing some artistic things that I always wanted to do so I am very content with my life.

My health history
I had grand mal seizures as an infant that were controlled with Dilantin successfully. I was weaned off at age eight. Then I got severe migraines which they

could no nothing for in the 70's. They are rare now but triggered by perfume smells and NutraSweet.

My main complaint is tiredness. I plan my life around naps most days. I am concerned that there is something being missed with my health. I did have a sleep study, which satisfied my Dr. But I think there may be a correlation between epilepsy and tired spells. Sometime I become so tired, suddenly and feel like I need to sleep NOW> I fight to stay awake at the movies. Working on the computer and reading make me tired too. Seems to go along with concentrating somehow. It has happened when I was driving home from teaching little ones and I had to try hard to stay awake. Thankfully I was almost home. After one of these extreme sleep spells I get a funny feeling in the front of my head, behind forehead. It is similar to the "auras???" that I got before and after migraine headaches mostly as a child. I would love to figure this out for the sake of my family. They do get annoyed with me being tired and sometime having to have these extreme naps. Any thoughts??
Have you had your thyroid checked? I had the same thing and it turned out to be my problem.
buzzie729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2013, 09:24 AM   #7

finonaey has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
49 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by tired all the time View Post

My health history
I had grand mal seizures as an infant that were controlled with Dilantin successfully. I was weaned off at age eight. Then I got severe migraines which they could no nothing for in the 70's. They are rare now but triggered by perfume smells and NutraSweet.

hi and welcome to pc.

I understand where u are coming from with your history. My sleep interupted my life so much that i ended up having to be put on provigil to stay awake during the day. I could never go to the movies with out just crashing. It was always disrupting my life and time with my family. I hope you find the answers you are looking for and a remedy for your situation.

fin
finonaey is offline   Reply With Quote