Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Mental Health Support > Bipolar

advertisement
Unread 09-12-2013, 11:43 AM   #21

Skittles56 Life wouldn't be life without the speed bumps.

My Mood:

Default Re: Link between bipolar and psychopathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anneinside View Post
No there is no link between bipolar and being a psychpath. That's like saying there is a link between a cold and lung cancer because they both affect the lungs. There is no link.
That's not exactly true. All psychopaths are not bipolar, and all bipolar people are not psychopaths, but there is a statistical correlation between bipolar and psychopathy. 16% of adult onset bipolar people are also sociopathic/psychopathic. The percentage gets much higher the younger the onset of bipolar, with childhood onset bipolar having a 37% correlation. The baseline is that 4% of the general population is sociopathic/psychopathic

I think the gist of this is, and I'm pretty much repeating what a lot of other posters have already said, the guy is an asshole. Whether it is because he is bipolar or psychopathic or both is moot, he's still an asshole and you can't do anything about that. Leave, sooner rather than later, and don't look back.
Unread 09-12-2013, 11:50 AM   #22
Magnate

SilverNeurotic getting back into the groove

My Mood:

3 yr Member
90 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Why are you willing to put yourself and child in harms way like that? Get out now, you'll only regret it. Mental illness does not give anyone a free card to act violently towards another living being.
SilverNeurotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2013, 06:45 PM   #23
Elder

Miguel'smom I shouldn't this broken

My Mood:

2 yr Member
1,871 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Run now! It gets so much harder when the baby's born. Abuse and mental illness are two completely different things. Please run, it'll only end bad if not. I've seen really bad situation with people allowing abuse or psychosis happen after children have been born.

Okay if you plan to stay you need to tell your OBGYN that you're being abused because you are classified as high risk due to the stress and emotional issues that come with abuse. Please see a therapist to help you through all this. You can even tell your boyfriend that the clinic that you go to requires for mid pregnancy to the child's 1st birthday as a precaution for post partum depression.
Son- mood disorder nos, adhd & aspergers

Begrudgingly back on meds as my husband wasn't thrilled to find out I was off them.
Miguel'smom is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2013, 08:32 PM   #24
Poohbah
ultramar has no updates.

276 hugs
given

I *do* hope you are able to eventually extricate yourself from this abusive relationship, both for your sake and that of your child.

I don't think his behavior is necessarily related to bipolar (how was he diagnosed, by the way, is it a sure thing?). I do not think he is beating on you and manipulating you, etc. because he is bipolar. Maybe he is antisocial. But whatever label he has given himself *is no excuse* for his behavior.

Please try to think of him as someone with *no* diagnosis. None. He is responsible for this behavior and it is up to him to do something about it. His diagnosis(es) don't matter, his behavior does, and your safety and wellbeing does. I hope you keep you and your child safe, as best you can.
ultramar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2013, 12:04 AM   #25

Mr. Radio Time man's worst enemy.

My Mood:

8 hugs
given

I was in a relationship with a sociopath. I somewhat she is the reason my psychosis sparked. After I broke up with her I was in a deep depression for some time. Then I a high unlike anything I've ever felt. I was a free rolling man and I loved it. Then came the break and the journey back from it. Psychopaths and sociopaths are not good people to be around. You can't change them, you can't make them feel. The way their brains are, it's their own burden. Much like a mental illness, they will keep using people to get what they want and never have true connection with people. You still being in this relationship resembles the false hope I once had that one day their would be no more downs. That is a hope long lost. Each high and low with this person will get worse and worse. My high and low with bipolar hasn't done too much damage to me yet... except for the hole I'm still in from psychosis, coming back out though. Do what you can for your own health and leave. Never talk to him again. The only way is no contact. I still think about the good times I had with her and they can remain with that.. But I now know that my future will be filled with more happiness and fulfilling life style then one based on lies and manipulation. Have faith in yourself and know that you are strong enough and there are better people. The longer you stay with him, the longer it will take you to get back into the right state of mind. Good luck.
Mr. Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 09-13-2013, 09:07 PM   #26

99 FAIRIES bipolar 1

My Mood:

44 hugs
given

Not to sound redundant...but pack your ***** and leave! Yesterday!!!
Unread 09-14-2013, 01:25 AM   #27
~ * ~ Grand Bananas ~ * ~

BlueInanna help..

My Mood:

2 yr Member
3,138 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

The original post is over a year old. Did you have a child? What has happened? I hope you got far away from the boyfriend. The child is safer far away from a father like that, this comes from experience not judgment. Hope you're ok.
Unread 10-24-2013, 11:21 PM   #28

Kathy111 has no updates.

My Mood:

2 yr Member

yes well thats what i thought that he had both a personality and a mood disorder. Whats more interesting is that i came across something a couple months back that states you cannot diagnose APD when the BP is in a manic phase. Clearly the two resemble each other mania and APD.

Sorry i cant send you the link. My post count has to be greater than 10 to post websites. Currently i have two but i plan on using this forum more now that i am staying home with the little one. Thank you all for responding. I really needed the support.
Kathy111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 11:24 PM   #29

Kathy111 has no updates.

My Mood:

2 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittles56 View Post
That's not exactly true. All psychopaths are not bipolar, and all bipolar people are not psychopaths, but there is a statistical correlation between bipolar and psychopathy. 16% of adult onset bipolar people are also sociopathic/psychopathic. The percentage gets much higher the younger the onset of bipolar, with childhood onset bipolar having a 37% correlation. The baseline is that 4% of the general population is sociopathic/psychopathic

I think the gist of this is, and I'm pretty much repeating what a lot of other posters have already said, the guy is an asshole. Whether it is because he is bipolar or psychopathic or both is moot, he's still an asshole and you can't do anything about that. Leave, sooner rather than later, and don't look back.
Thank you, you understand
Unread 10-24-2013, 11:27 PM   #30

Kathy111 has no updates.

My Mood:

2 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultramar View Post
I *do* hope you are able to eventually extricate yourself from this abusive relationship, both for your sake and that of your child.

I don't think his behavior is necessarily related to bipolar (how was he diagnosed, by the way, is it a sure thing?). I do not think he is beating on you and manipulating you, etc. because he is bipolar. Maybe he is antisocial. But whatever label he has given himself *is no excuse* for his behavior.

Please try to think of him as someone with *no* diagnosis. None. He is responsible for this behavior and it is up to him to do something about it. His diagnosis(es) don't matter, his behavior does, and your safety and wellbeing does. I hope you keep you and your child safe, as best you can.
Yes its a sure thing but i think you are right