Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Mental Health Support > Bipolar

advertisement
Unread 03-17-2012, 11:18 PM   #1
Grand Member

BuggsBunny makes jokes on the forum. Watch out for her!

My Mood:

2 yr Member
145 hugs
given
Red face Can't stay awake during the day

I'm having a terrible time staying awake in the mornings and up til about noon. I'm getting enough sleep, but I still doze off during the morning. It is very hard to teach like this. My pdoc has actually given me permission to take caffeine pills in the morning, and to ask my gp for something that is not an amphetamine, but will keep me awake.

I'm taking a pretty hefty load of meds and she is trying to wean me off of some of them. I personally think it's the lamictal, but since my depression finally seems to be going away, she doesn't want to mess with that one.

I'm currently on Lamictal, abilify, Trileptal, Effexor, Klonipan, Ambien at night, Flexeril, and oxycontin for pain. Plus a bunch for my rheumatoid Arthritis. All totaled, 18 different drugs, and on more than one occasion I've been tempted to throw my med box away and start from scratch!

Other than stopping the meds, does anyone have any ideas how I can stay awake without caff. tabs? Any help would be appreciated!

That which does not kill me makes me stronger.
BuggsBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2012, 11:31 PM   #2
Magnate

BipolaRNurse is at a crossroads.

My Mood:

2 yr Member
2,056 hugs
given
Default Re: Can't stay awake during the day

I'm having the same problem with the Lamictal, even though I started at a very small dose and am ramping up every 2 weeks. But I'll put up with the sleepiness if the med continues to do its magic in stabilizing my moods.....I just went through my first mixed episode and do not want to EVER experience anything like it again.

It helps me to just get up and do something different when the daytime drowsies hit me. I have a desk job, so it's good to do that anyway; now I have no choice but to take a little walk, as falling asleep in front of one's computer is bad form.
BipolaRNurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2012, 11:38 PM   #3
Elder

DrSkipper aka Mrs. Mau5

My Mood:

5 yr Member
331 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

O.o I would MURDER my doc if he tried to give me 18 pills! And I thought two pills were bad!

I don't think there is much you can do without messing up your pills, but it's good that you are weaning off of them. You may need to go to sleep a couple hours earlier, and that may mean sleeping pills which is probably not a good idea. Have you tried exercising for an hour in the morning before class?

Best of luck!
Unread 03-17-2012, 11:54 PM   #4
Anonymous32722
Anonymous32722 has no updates. Edit

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuggsBunny View Post
Any help would be appreciated!
If you can, stand. I heard that from a guy in the military who blah, blah, blah, blah. It actually does work if you can somehow fit it into your routine without attracting attention to yourself.

For some reason, the act of having to balance yourself and not fall over keeps you awake.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 03-18-2012, 12:24 AM   #5
grandmaof3 not crazy, just a little impaired

2 yr Member
1 hugs
given

Try skipping the ambien if you can. I've found that if I take ambien it doesn't seem to help me go to sleep at night but the next day I am groggy. Flexiril will make you sleepy too. But if you're in pain you won't want to go without that one. Right now I'd give anything to sleep, day or night. My broken neck hurts and the pain meds make me hyper so I've been getting naps here and there but I can't sleep. I wish you luck.

Geodon 80 mg qid
Zyprexa 5 mg daily
Wellbutrin 450 mg daily
Paxil 60 mg daily
Ativan 1 mg tid
Haldol 5 mg prn
Fanapt 12 mg bid
grandmaof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2012, 12:34 AM   #6
Elder

DrSkipper aka Mrs. Mau5

My Mood:

5 yr Member
331 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotCrazyLikeYou View Post
If you can, stand. I heard that from a guy in the military who blah, blah, blah, blah. It actually does work if you can somehow fit it into your routine without attracting attention to yourself.

For some reason, the act of having to balance yourself and not fall over keeps you awake.
#1. LOVE your name. BAMF.

#2. I see what you did there. OMG MEEEEEEMMMMMEEEESSSSSSS <3333333 I love memes! Can ya tell? Bamf.
Unread 03-18-2012, 01:31 AM   #7
Anonymous32722
Anonymous32722 has no updates. Edit

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSkipper View Post
#1. LOVE your name. BAMF.

#2. I see what you did there. OMG MEEEEEEMMMMMEEEESSSSSSS <3333333 I love memes! Can ya tell? Bamf.
Thanks. I spend a lot of time on ebaumsworld.
Hugs from:
Unread 03-18-2012, 03:04 AM   #8
Grand Member

BuggsBunny makes jokes on the forum. Watch out for her!

My Mood:

2 yr Member
145 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmaof3 View Post
Try skipping the ambien if you can. I've found that if I take ambien it doesn't seem to help me go to sleep at night but the next day I am groggy. Flexiril will make you sleepy too. But if you're in pain you won't want to go without that one. Right now I'd give anything to sleep, day or night. My broken neck hurts and the pain meds make me hyper so I've been getting naps here and there but I can't sleep. I wish you luck.
Thanks! I am trying to skip the ambien, in case that's the problem. It only helps me get to sleep, not stay there, anyway,

Quote:
O.o I would MURDER my doc if he tried to give me 18 pills! And I thought two pills were bad!
My pdoc isn't responsible for all 18, a bunch of them are for other chronic illnesses.

That which does not kill me makes me stronger.
BuggsBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2012, 04:00 AM   #9
Grand Member
bipolarmedstudent is coloring the brain

My Mood:

2 yr Member
71 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuggsBunny View Post
I'm having a terrible time staying awake in the mornings and up til about noon. I'm getting enough sleep, but I still doze off during the morning. It is very hard to teach like this. My pdoc has actually given me permission to take caffeine pills in the morning, and to ask my gp for something that is not an amphetamine, but will keep me awake.

I'm taking a pretty hefty load of meds and she is trying to wean me off of some of them. I personally think it's the lamictal, but since my depression finally seems to be going away, she doesn't want to mess with that one.

I'm currently on Lamictal, abilify, Trileptal, Effexor, Klonipan, Ambien at night, Flexeril, and oxycontin for pain. Plus a bunch for my rheumatoid Arthritis. All totaled, 18 different drugs, and on more than one occasion I've been tempted to throw my med box away and start from scratch!

Other than stopping the meds, does anyone have any ideas how I can stay awake without caff. tabs? Any help would be appreciated!

Provigil? It's a stimulant but not an amphetamine.

Anyway, I would think the klonipin, ambien, and oxycontin is probably sedating you more than the lamictal?

dx:
bipolar I, ADHD-C, tourette's syndrome, OCD, trichotillomania, GAD, Social Phobia, BPD, RLS

current meds:
depakote (divalproex sodium) 1000mg, abilify (aripiprazole) 4mg, cymbalta (duloxetine) 60mg, dexedrine (dexamphetamine) 35mg, ativan (lorazepam) 1mg prn, iron supplements

past meds:
ritalin, adderall, risperdal, geodon, paxil, celexa, zoloft

other:
individual talk therapy, CBT, group therapy, couple's therapy, hypnosis
bipolarmedstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 03-18-2012, 12:45 PM   #10
Account Suspended
hamster-bamster wish me luck!

My Mood:

2 yr Member
3,064 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I have a milder problem from Depakote and am going to try morning exercise for it (Dr Skipper, have you actually tried it or is it a generally good advice?). I will let you know how it goes.
hamster-bamster is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says: