Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Mental Health Support > Bipolar

advertisement
Unread 09-17-2011, 12:27 PM   #1

jk2833 has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
80 hugs
given
Default Bipolar?why im always depressed then?

I'm just sitting wondering if I have bipolar why am I depressed the majority of the time with psychosis and high anxiety?
I actually look forward to my hypo manic episodes just to cheer up. This only seems to happen every 2 months I'm so sick of this ongoing crappy suicidal feeling its destroying mine and my familys lives. Someone please advise or respond
Thank you
JK
jk2833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2011, 12:35 PM   #2
Grand Member

Ryask has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
Default Re: Bipolar?why im always depressed then?

When i was first diagnoses i told them it was 80:20....meaning 80 percent of the time i was depressed and 20 percent normal or hypo-manic, i found when i started meds, it started cycling really FAST, from depressed to hypo almost weekly but certainly monthlly. I don't know which is better the constant cycling..or just being depressed for what seems to be forever. So with that being said are you in therapy, and do you take medications? These are things that help stop the depression and when they fail lifestyle change can make a huge difference aswell. Eating healthy, suppliments like fish oils, vitamin D, Multivitamin etc. and getting enough sleep and excersizing.. If you are taking suppliments, eating healthy, excersizing and doing therapy and medications too, then you got everything on your side that you to beat depression. If your not quite there with some of these then at least you know where to go from here in order to get out of the depression. I hope this helps my brain can't concentrate today i'm sorry,
"Love is patient; love is kind; love is not boastful or arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice in wrongdoing, but rejoices in the truth. It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things". I Corinthians 13: 4-7
Ryask is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2011, 12:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member
Astridetal has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
8 hugs
given

I am really sorry you're depressed so often, and I can totally understand you'r elooking forward to the hypomanic episodes just for a change. But it's no fun cycling around all the time. Maybe you need a med adjustment? Are you on an antidepressant? Usually with bipolar, especially bipolar II which you seem to have, an antidepressant is needed to deal with the depression, but some docs are wary of giving bipolars one since it can make you manic.

"People are afraid of what they might find if they try to analyze themselves too much, but you have to crawl into the wound to discover what your fears are. Once the bleeding starts, the cleansing can begin." - Tori Amos
Astridetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2011, 02:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

zbmom is not doing well

My Mood:

3 yr Member

I spend most of my time depressed too. I wish I was hypo way more often.
Unread 09-17-2011, 02:14 PM   #5
Poohbah

Anneinside has no updates.

5 yr Member
3 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

People with bipolar tend to be in depression more often than hypo(mania) especially those with bipolar II. In diagnosing bipolar, you only have to have one episode of hypo(mania) to be diagnosed as bipolar.
Anneinside is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 09-17-2011, 04:51 PM   #6
angelgirl1980 has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk2833 View Post
I'm just sitting wondering if I have bipolar why am I depressed the majority of the time with psychosis and high anxiety?
I actually look forward to my hypo manic episodes just to cheer up. This only seems to happen every 2 months I'm so sick of this ongoing crappy suicidal feeling its destroying mine and my familys lives. Someone please advise or respond
Thank you
JK
that must really be rough feeling suicidal all the time. believe me though i know how it feels. hope you feel better soon. sending hugs your way.
angelgirl1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2011, 03:46 AM   #7
Poohbah

kindachaotic has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
4,963 hugs
given

Even on meds. I always have a low level of depression, but tolerable. I will take that any day over the anxiety of losing touch with reality & not be in control of yourself. But that's just me.
Hope you feel better soon!
kindachaotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2011, 08:13 AM   #8
Magnate

BlackPup is getting better!!!

My Mood:

3 yr Member
595 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

s to all who are feeling depressed. I get depressed heaps more than hypomanic too.... my doc says that when I get hypo manic that causes the rebound depression so I have to cut out the mania to get rid of the depression. So far its working, but I'm on some pretty strong antidepressants also. But we are really careful to balance the antidepressants with mood stabilisers so that I don't go manic and ruin it all....

I hope you can all find the meds that work for you to cut out both the highs and the lows....
Unread 09-18-2011, 12:32 PM   #9

jk2833 has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
80 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk2833 View Post
Thank you
JK
Hi all thank you soooo much for the advice and replies I really appreciate them.
Ryask that sounds like me with the 80% of time being depressed.
I'm in a bit of a tricky place as I'm already taking valporate for epilepsy,which it does help,but does not help as a mood stabiliser,if that makes sense? As for my diet I have to be careful what I eat as I have dysphagia, and excercise is difficult as I have fibromyalgia and real bad arthritis.
Currently I take sertraline which I've been on for years and does nothing for me and I've tried most of the other ssri meds too.
I'm hoping this will begin to change after my next appointment but I'm so worried that it won't as they are so cautious here.
Many thanks again
JK
jk2833 is offline   Reply With Quote