Magnate

buttrfli42481 is tired of the nightmares

My Mood:

3 yr Member
982 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Question Cyclic Mood Disorder??

At my pdoc appt yesterday my pdoc told me that I was bipolar. She said that has been my diagnosis since Nov '10. When I told her that was news to me, she asked if I have mood swings. I never get really manic, but can get very depressed. She then said that I could have a Cyclic Mood Disorder. All information that I have found is on bipolar. Does anyone know where I can find information about this disorder? I take 120mg of Cymbalta, 2.5mg of Abilify, 1mg of Ativan, and a few non-psych meds to top it off.

Like the ripples of water, our lives touch more than we can see.
buttrfli42481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2011, 12:20 AM   #2
Legendary Wise Elder

(JD) holds a PhD but is medically retired from practice.

My Mood:

10 yr Member
859 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Heart Re: Cyclic Mood Disorder??

Well, I'm not much on labels because the symptoms remain the same no matter what you call it for clarity for insurance companies etc. However, Bipolar Disorder is a cyclic mood disorder.

They have expanded the bipolar disorder definition to include those who may not have manic phases () but then, they are trying to change a few disorder's definitions to mean depression. Sorry, I digress.

Unless your doctor has reason to believe you have mania at times, I don't know why she doesn't "just" treat you for depression. Major depression ebbs and flows, being more cyclic at times.

I'd discuss this further with her...she has to have a diagnosis to give to the insurance company for payment, but she (as therapists do) may revise it as she works with you in time.

Job 6:14 (NASB)
“For the despairing man there should be kindness from his friend;
So that he does not forsake the fear of the Almighty.

(JD) is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 03-03-2011, 02:00 AM   #3
Grand Magnate

amandalouise wife/mom/lesbian/survivor

5 yr Member
140 hugs
given
Default Re: Cyclic Mood Disorder??

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttrfli42481 View Post
At my pdoc appt yesterday my pdoc told me that I was bipolar. She said that has been my diagnosis since Nov '10. When I told her that was news to me, she asked if I have mood swings. I never get really manic, but can get very depressed. She then said that I could have a Cyclic Mood Disorder. All information that I have found is on bipolar. Does anyone know where I can find information about this disorder? I take 120mg of Cymbalta, 2.5mg of Abilify, 1mg of Ativan, and a few non-psych meds to top it off.
around here "Cyclic Mood Disorder" is a broad term for many disorders all of which have a pattern or cycles of depression

examples
Bipolar disorder
Seasonal Affective Disorder
depression
Cycthymia
PMS
PMDD

your location may include these or others in the term cyclic mood disorder or none of them but have others considered in this group.

my suggestion talk with your treatment provider. they can tell you what the term means in your location and in reference to your problems.

amandalouise is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 03-03-2011, 03:07 AM   #4
Grand Magnate

lonegael has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
96 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Cyclic Mood Disorder??

Sounds like she might mean cyclothymia, which used to be thought of as a personality disorder but is now thought of as a less sever bipolar variation with less sever depression swings and less high manic swings. the cycles can be somewhat more rapid, also. Things are changing so fast in what things are called that it is hard to keep up with the jargon even when one is in the field
lonegael is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says: