Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Mental Health Support > Bipolar

advertisement
Unread 01-02-2011, 01:08 AM   #1

IdoubtIT turning things around.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
Default Lithium versus Depakote

I'm looking to you folks that have lived life with either med at some point. My pdoc isn't satisfied with an antipsychotic as the only mood stabilizer on board. I've been on lithium for some time and am really struggling with the side effects; primarily tremor and worsened psoriasis, but also increased thirst. I'm considering a trial of depakote but am wary of it because the data I have seen is that it really causes weight gain.

What are your thoughts and experiences with the two meds?
IdoubtIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2011, 01:13 AM   #2
Elder

Moose72 Tangled in Titilating Typing

My Mood:

5 yr Member
303 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Lithium versus Depakote

I started on depakote and fairlyquickly went from 130-sh to 175-ish. A year or so later I switched to lithium. I like it much better though I've had to have anti psychotic added with both at times. The weight slowed and stopped on lithium.
Moose72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2011, 03:09 AM   #3
who reads this, anyway?

Yoda misses Dusty :(

My Mood:

5 yr Member PC PoohBah!

I gained a hundred pounds on depakote and got toxic two different times on lithium. And neither helped stabilize my mood.

Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2011, 04:39 AM   #4
Skeleton Queen
Chat Leader

Skully is very strange......

My Mood:

3 yr Member
67 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I had taken both, neither worked, but the depakote did have less weight gain than the lithium in my expierence. Depakote can still cause it, but not as much as the lithium did. But then moose didn't have the weight gain. It is different for each person. My dad gained over 75lbs on the depakote while I only gained 10lbs. Has you pdoc thought of adding two anti psychotics? I take both Lamictal and Abilify. That does the trick for me now.
(Dr. Seuss)
Skully is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2011, 07:48 AM   #5
Grand Magnate

lonegael has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
96 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

My experience is thus: When I was younger, lithium worked wonderfully, especially in combination with effexor. When I went into my forties, I suddenly started to metabolize it differently and started to have all sorts of side effects; cognitive slowing, fast and excessive weight gain. I was switched to topamac and although it isn't as fantastic, it works well and the weight gain has reversed.
For a while I was tried on valproate and I wasn't a happy camper. I threw up more or less constantly, lost hair and had other side effects, and they were never able to get me up to the therapeutic threshold.
I am told that the lithium works best on those who tend to have a family history of bipolar illness, but I don't know. We have a fmaily history of general wierdness, but it's hard to trace further than a couple of generations, since folks don't talk about it.
My mother was on a drug related to valproate for migraines and had similar problems.
lonegael is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 01-02-2011, 12:31 PM   #6
Horse Girl

blueoctober has no updates.

3 yr Member

I was on lithium for the first 2.5 years after my diagnosis. I was also on an anti-d, but even with that I alternated between depression or a general feeling of flatness. As far as the hand tremor I was initially put on a med (I think it was called propanol) to control that. I was able to get off the propanol and as long as I stayed hydrated I didn't notice the hand tremor.

I haven't hear of the connection of the use of lithium for people with a family history of BP. I do have family history of BP, but lithium wasn't a good med for me. Each person is different for what med works for them, but lithium tends to work better for those who experience more highs than lows.

I'm on lamictal and wellbutrin now and it has worked well for me. Weight gain is not a side effect for either of these meds. Lamictal tends to be better for a person that experiences more lows than highs.

Check out my blog The Bipolar Roller Coaster: http://blueoctober.psychcentral.net/
New Post March 23 "New Therapist"

Last edited by blueoctober; 01-02-2011 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Added info
blueoctober is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2011, 01:30 PM   #7

RRU96 has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member

I have only personally been on Depakote. I have so far found it to work best for me. After the new year calms donw, I am going to mention getting put on it again. The Depakote only put on 30 pounds or so for me, but the benefits definitely outweighed the weight I just didnt like it at the time, but after this last little 'ride' of not having stable meds, weight is NOT an issue. I can understand some out there who did have a larger weight gain side effect. It is a personal choice. I know that I need to live a little healthier of a lifestyle, so going on it for me is almost motivation to eat healthy so my weight CAN'T gain.

I wish you the best of luck in whatever choice you do make.

On the Topic of Depakote, has anyone ever heard of it being used for Rapid Cyclers?

RRU96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2011, 10:12 PM   #8
Trying & Caring has no updates.

5 yr Member

TRIGGER ALERT

Was put on Depakote when 1st dxed as I was in a mixed state. Mother was bp & committed suicide when I was 15 & I had my 1st suicide attempt at 15--a couple mos. before she died after her many attempts. Depakote helped w/agitation but not depression.

Then put on Lithium & felt like someone who has very low vision getting the perfect prescription for her lenses. I could not believe how my inner turmoil was relieved. I was wondering is this how everyone else felt?? It was wonderful but even on a low dose I had kidney malfunction (doc also got a sonogram to make sure I didn't coincidentally have a tumor on my kidney), so had to get off Lithium within a couple mos. & do have kidney damage from that short time on it. Just not good for my body.

Then did Geodon (fell asleep while driving & had to lie down on floor at work--in a sports club & lots of people around--as I got so dizzy; only lasted 4 days on it w/those side effects & broke my toe when trying to get back into bed one morning when I was so dizzy after trying to make coffee & foot hit bed "foot" or "leg"--don't know what to call it!! as I was rushing to try to lie down due to being so dizzy).

Then Abilify which helped tremendously w/mood & paranoia I had (also was put on Lamictal). Gained 50 lbs. on Abilify & did an overdose of my psych meds due to a negative comment regarding my weight gain by husband.

Off Abilify, but still not losing weight as also quit smoking & entered menopause & complete emotional devastation from husband's remark, I guess...

So, all I can say is "Still Here"--though husband has been very remorseful as he didn't know I would react that way, but I know he did it to shame me or humiliate me into losing weight & he had promised never to hurt me intentionally when we married (36 yrs. ago & high school sweet hearts before that at 15 {me} & 16 {him}).

So decreasing & trying to get off Lamictal--and a major help has been DBT.

I'm 56 so elderly now!! These meds have not been tested on elderly & I have some chronic pain issues going on, too.

Just don't get old! Well, I guess that is not good advice as what is the alternative?

Take care, Everyone.

Last edited by Trying & Caring; 01-02-2011 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Can't find trigger alert signal
Trying & Caring is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2011, 10:20 PM   #9
Elder

Moose72 Tangled in Titilating Typing

My Mood:

5 yr Member
303 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

56 is elderly??
Moose72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2011, 10:26 PM   #10
Magnate

BlackPup is getting better!!!

My Mood:

3 yr Member
595 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I've been on Lithium for 4 years now, I've put on 30 kg, I went of it for 6 months and lost about 15 kg but went back on cos it stops my suicidal thoughts. I chose to go back onto it knowing that I would likely gain weight cos it works for me.