Getting there! :-)

sugahorse1 is trudging along

My Mood:

3 yr Member
301 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Bipolar and IQ

I'm sure this has been discussed in some way or another - but is there some proof that most Bipolar's seem to have an above average IQ?

Or is it just that I have NOT patience and get easily aggitated? At work, people drive me insane with their incompetencies! And even in social environments - it escapes me how people can oversee the most logical ideas/answers....

Arg, it really is not helping the stress levels!
Unread 10-04-2010, 09:24 AM   #2

midnight_soul has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
Lightbulb Re: Bipolar and IQ

I have never even thought of that one. Maybe you should check it out on the internet and see what you can find.
midnight_soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2010, 09:49 AM   #3
Magnate

vjdragonfly Trying to stay strong.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
159 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Bipolar and IQ

I don't know if I have an above average IQ. I know I done really well in school - high GPA's. I don't feel that smart any more. I find that I space alot. Which I've also heard if you don't use it, you lose it. Which may be my case. It is definitely an interesting theory though. It would be neat to now if it is true.
Unread 10-04-2010, 10:21 AM   #4
Anonymous32910
Anonymous32910 has no updates. Edit

I suspect IQ of bipolars fall on a bell curve just like the general population.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 10-04-2010, 10:30 AM   #5
Anonymous32910

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/913464-overview

"Adolescents who had early developmental antecedents were at a higher risk of developing psychotic symptoms. In addition, intelligence quotient (IQ) scores were significantly lower in patients with early-onset bipolar disorder (mean full-scale IQ, 88.8) than in patients with unipolar depression (mean full-scale IQ, 105.8).
Finally, a statistically significant difference in the mean verbal IQ and mean performance IQ was found only in patients with bipolar disorder. The reason for this discrepancy is unclear but should be the subject of further investigation.
Overall, patients with severe bipolar disorder had a mean IQ lower than that of patients with mild-to-moderate forms of the disorder."

Found this on emedicine article. Seems to say the more severe the disorder, the lower the IQ. Doesn't say how much lower though.
Unread 10-04-2010, 10:41 AM   #6
Anonymous32910

Sorry, got off topic a bit.

I suspect you both have a higher IQ AND get aggravated easily with others who just don't seem to get it. That's a common characteristic of those of us with higher IQ's is that we do have a tendency to be impatient with others. There's a reason that gifted and talented classes are often separate from regular classes. It's not necessarily a bipolar trait.
Unread 10-04-2010, 11:09 AM   #7
Elder

madisgram has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
536 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

i learned that i needed to be more patient with others that don't get things a quickly as i do. it has helped me communicate better and hopefully be kinder too.
Do not let your fire go out, spark by irreplaceable spark, in the hopeless swamps of the approximate, the not-quite, the not-yet, the not-at-all. Do not let the hero in your soul perish, in lonely frustration for the life you deserved, but have never been able to reach. Check your road and the nature of your battle.
The world you desired can be won. It exists, it is real, it is possible, it is yours..~Ayn Rand
madisgram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2010, 11:23 AM   #8
Poohbah

PT52 has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member

Psychology teaches that our perception of fact is more often wrong than right. Since all of my immediate blood relatives (except my children) have BP and scored extremely high on IQ tests, I always assumed it was the norm. Then again, my non-BP son is well above average intelligence and my daughter is way over the top; she scored higher on all IQ tests than anyone else in my family.

That being said, if you don't use it, it isn't worth much, is it? No one can really pat themselves on the back for a high IQ - it's not something you have to earn with hard work. In that respect, I'd have to say I'm below average in what I've done with it, but I'm getting there.

Oh yeah, and I have little patience for people I consider incompetent or ignorant..which quite often is most people I encounter on a daily basis (except you guys, of course!)...guess that's something I need to work on.
You can keep it moving, if you don't look down" - B.B. Ki
ng

Come join the BP Social Society on Psych Central Everyone is Welcome!
PT52 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 10-04-2010, 11:25 AM   #9
Anonymous32910

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT52 View Post
That being said, if you don't use it, it isn't worth much, is it? No one can really pat themselves on the back for a high IQ - it's not something you have to earn with hard work. In that respect, I'd have to say I'm below average in what I've done with it, but I'm getting there.
Amen to that.
Unread 10-04-2010, 07:09 PM   #10
Poohbah

Anneinside has no updates.

5 yr Member
3 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Kay Jamison Redfield, the author of An Unquiet Mind also wrote a book about bipolar and creativity called Touched by Fire. I can't recall whether she addressed IQ but I would say that bipolar is an equal opportunity disorder, hitting across the IQ range. I do think, and this is just my opinion, that people with average to above average IQs are more likely to seek out information and educate themselves about their disorder. So, I think all of you are smart! LOL
Anneinside is offline   Reply With Quote