Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Mental Health Support > Personality Place > Avoidant Personality Disorder

advertisement
Unread 09-02-2013, 08:36 PM   #1
Poohbah

nevergoodenough has no updates.

My Mood:

158 hugs
given
Default What's the best job for someone with AvPd?

I'm 18 years old in college with absolutely no job experience. My options are limited to working at a grocery store, coffee shop, clothes stores... What would be the best place to work at and the job position? Is there anything for me.
nevergoodenough is online now   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Unread 09-03-2013, 12:04 AM   #2
Grand Member

Maranara ......

My Mood:

61 hugs
given
Default Re: What's the best job for someone with AvPd?

Okay...I'm talking about the future not now...

Major in web design, computer graphics, computer programming, accounting, or any business/secretarial stuff. There are loads of opportunities of telecommuting (working at home) with those skills. Also, if they offer a class in debate or communications do that. Something that will teach you the skill of talking to people on the phone.

These days, with technology advancing as fast as it is, there are lots of opportunities to work at home that didn't exist a few years ago. Another thought....brainstorm a list of things you'd like to do. Then go on the Department of Labor and read through what they call their Occupational Outlook Handbook...the entire thing is online at http://www.bls.gov/ooh/. You can put in any job you can think of and it will tell you the skills you need, education requirements, demand for the job, work environment, whether it may be possible to work from home, and beginning salary. You may not be able to work at home the first few years; you may have to "get your feet wet" but there's lots of possibilities out there.

I started a support group for job seekers at http://forums.psychcentral.com/group...b-seekers.html. You're welcome to join if you'd like.

As for now...that's hard. You could beef up your secretarial skills, typing and such, and work in an office part-time. In an office, you'd have limited contact with people most of the time. I'd avoid fast food. Customer service of that nature is very hard for an introvert....been there/done that. A slower paced store may not be too bad though.

Check out my business Facebook page!
www.facebook.com/socialwrites
Maranara is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Unread 09-03-2013, 05:05 AM   #3
Grand Magnate

A Red Panda can't sleep, clown will eat me!

My Mood:

828 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Honestly never... it depends on you! What do you like? What do you find to be less stressful or more stressful?

Like.. for me? I hate handling others' money and even though when I was younger I found that job to be really easy.... I hated it because it stressed me out handling people's money.

On the other hand... I'm very good at pretending so I do very well in customer service positions. As long as it was something on the floor where I was just helping someone find things, I was great. I always knew where stuff was and knew the sorts of things that I could recommend, or at least who to direct them to. But if I had been in a customer service job where I was going to have to deal with complaints, I would have quit because I simply can't handle it.

If you're looking for work to do while you attend college, can you look for work on campus? Jobs on campus (or really close to it) are often a lot more willing to work around class schedules, and it'd be fairly easy to go between the two places.

Find the career centre on your campus and they'll be able to help you out a bit, even if it's just with helping you with your resume and to develop some interview skills!

"I have a problem with low self-esteem. Which is really ridiculous when you consider how amazing I am.

A Red Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Unread 09-15-2013, 01:44 PM   #4

musicflows wants this to be over.

My Mood:

2 yr Member
16 hugs
given

I worked at a library and I really loved it. It's quiet and low-stress and you get to do jobs like go off and shelve books.
musicflows is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Unread 11-13-2013, 04:25 PM   #5
Needsmet has no updates.

This is a bit of a loaded question. For me, I work at home. Which is both a great thing and a not so good thing.

Its great because I work at home. No committing and no aggravation from fellow employees. But its also not a good thing because I have no contact with fellow employes. So I have no reason to develop social skills.

So its a double edged sword.
Needsmet is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Unread 11-14-2013, 06:29 PM   #6
Poohbah

nevergoodenough has no updates.

My Mood:

158 hugs
given

Less stressful: not having to deal with people or talk to people.

So... any job like that?

No? Okay.
nevergoodenough is online now   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Unread 11-14-2013, 08:37 PM   #7
Hayden29 has no updates.

Hi. I do retail merchandising. This is a job where you place product for a third party vendor. I get my schedules and orders, go to the store and place the product, pull tickets for orders, place the orders, and then input my hours all on the company's website. You work independently and set your own hours and schedule. It can be very low stress and your contact with others is limited. The account is your customer; the store's customers are not so you do not have to deal with them. You may have limited contact with store management. There are several websites where you can find these types of jobs like Indeed.com and Merchandiserbuzz.com. Good luck with your search.
Hayden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Unread 11-15-2013, 08:14 AM   #8
Grand Magnate

A Red Panda can't sleep, clown will eat me!

My Mood:

828 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Unfortunately, pretty much every job requires contact with at least one other person.

You could be a truck driver and drive across country with cargo. Don't really have to talk much aside from when you're loading up and dropping off.

You could give up money and go be a monk and take a vow of silence.

You could get a job as a park ranger or something like that where you would be out in the bush most of the time.

You could work as a librarian where you will need to help people find things, but it's typically a short and straightforward interaction.

You could work in an office. You'd be around a lot of people, but you'd be mostly working on a computer.

You could work in a factory - where again, you're around a lot of people but you're usually working on your task without much interaction at all.

You could work in the postal service where you would be mostly out delivering mail and only talk to people on the chance that you have to knock on the door to get a package signed.

There are quite a few jobs where you will have minimum interaction. But we could give you all sorts of ideas, but what it comes down to is you thinking about the things that you like doing (which you haven't shared with us) and then to find jobs that will involve those. You also need to consider the things that you want the least (human interaction - but what kinds of interaction cause you the MOST stress? Because if nothing else, you will always have a boss or something to have to speak to sometimes, or to work nearby others).

Like... for me.

Things I like: Science, Reading, being in control of my time, being able to have routine but also having the freedom to be creative. And I do like to be around people.

Things I don't like: being watched/criticized, working too often with the same people, being bored, repetition.

I decided to be a teacher. It gives me human interaction which I enjoy, but because it's almost completely with children, I know I'm not being scrutinzed or criticized. I'm not being evaluated. I can enjoy a variety of subjects and how I teach them and what we do about them is up to me, so I have that freedom. I also can create my own routine and that works well for me - I like to be in control of what I'm doing. I can talk with other adults, but they aren't watching me do my job so the interactions are up to me. So... even though I'm around loads of other people and I am always interacting with them... it's not the kind of interaction that causes me stress.

"I have a problem with low self-esteem. Which is really ridiculous when you consider how amazing I am.

A Red Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Unread 11-17-2013, 03:10 PM   #9
Grand Member

bronzeowl I don't even know

My Mood:

3 yr Member
274 hugs
given

My mom is a freelance writer. Only contact she makes with people is via the internet. It takes a while to actually make money off it, though. The company she works for, you have to reach a really high level to make an average sized paycheck. She enjoys it, however.

I would think many computer jobs would have limited interaction. However, you still might have to interact with at least one other person. If you're good with computers and/or writing, though, it's something to consider.

If it's easier for you to be around children than adults, a teacher might work out.

If it's easier for you to be around pets than people, then a job working with animals might be an idea (yeah, you have to deal with people, too - but I find it easier to deal with people when animals are in the picture).

Red Panda is right. It comes down to what you want more than anything. There are options, but you should always keep in mind that you will have some form of interaction. Even in my mom's case, although it's all online.

atypical anorexia|mood disorder NOS|avoidant personality disorder|gender dysphoria|adult child of alcoholic
bronzeowl is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Unread 11-29-2013, 12:16 AM   #10
Anonymous24680
Anonymous24680 has no updates. Edit

Get into web development if you have a flare that kind of thing. You can make good money and your main function will be dealing with computer code. If you find the right job most conversations will be in regards to computer code, which is easy to talk about even if you have social anxiety problems because it's all factual and very straightforward. But you can't totally avoid human contact and have a job... we have to have things to dream about after all. Good luck.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from: