Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Mental Health Support > Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD/ADHD)

advertisement
Unread 12-03-2007, 12:46 PM   #1
bluefusionxl has no updates.

5 yr Member
Default Adderall XR - Appetite Suppressant?

I heard that Adderall instant release is often used off label for appetite suppression. I have ADD and got prescribed Adderall XR for it. I've been trying to lose weight as well. . . can Adderall XR be used as an appetite suppressant? I'm taking 10mg adderall atm
bluefusionxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2007, 08:27 PM   #2
has no updates. Edit

Default Re: Adderall XR - Appetite Suppressant?

I would strongly advise talking to your doctor before using a medication for anything other than for which is was prescribed.
Unread 12-28-2007, 03:46 AM   #3
Elder

AAAAA has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
2 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Yes it is also used as a diet pill. So much so that my doctor has to jump through hoops for my insurance company. They will pay for it as ADD med, but not as a diet pill. My boys are as skinny as rails, but every year, the dr has to fill out paperwork giving height and weight.

We never had to do that with Ritalin.
Unread 12-28-2007, 10:48 AM   #4
Pandita-in-training

Perna is feeling.

8 yr Member
436 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Don't mess with it without your doctor; one of the side effects causing people to want off of it is anorexia.

http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/adderallxr_ad.htm
“Everybody struggles with this stuff, you know. With social discomfort and grief and fitting in. People with syndromes, people with disorders, people with diagnoses, and without. People who would be classified as neurotypical. Idiots and geniuses, maids and doctors. Nobody's got it all figured out.” ~Jael McHenry
Perna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2007, 05:29 AM   #5
JoshGroban has no updates.

5 yr Member

Adderall as the XR and the single dose can suppress your hunger. It is not advisable to use this or any drug for anything other than what it was prescribed for. However if it was prescribed for say ADD/H and you happen to lose weight while on it and you are taking it as prescribed and your doctor is monitoring you and your medication then it should be ok. Just make sure your doctor knows that you are also trying to lose weight so that he or she can monitor your weight as well. Sometimes with a medication such as Adderall you can lose too much weight to fast and it can be unhealthy.

I currently am taking 45 mg of Adderall and because it has sped my metabolism up and with my exercise and food changes I have lost weight.
JoshGroban is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2008, 01:12 PM   #6
Grand Magnate
Community Liaison

DePressMe in bat country

My Mood:

5 yr Member
273 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I take Dexedrine which is similar to Adderal. It does suppress my hunger. I have to make sure to remind myself to eat right. Yeah, if your doc is giving you the Adderal for ADD or ADHD and you happen to lose weight, then good. As long as you keep an eye on it and do it in a healthy way. Its probably good to keep your doc informed of your situation and thoughts.

...just keep it between the lines!
DePressMe is offline   Reply With Quote