Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Mental Health Support > Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD/ADHD)

advertisement
Unread 04-06-2013, 01:05 AM   #1
Simmy22 has no updates.

My Mood:

Default Why is no one believing me?

Everyone thinks I don-t focus because of depression. However, I think I have adhd, because >
When I was young I used to forget a lot of things, and she used to come to school with them, like, lunch, hw etc. She said I used to do hw on the bus or just before class, and whenerver I didn-t manage, she used to write letter of excuses to the teachers, saying I was sick. I used to talk excessively and she couldn-t take me to church as I would repeat word by word what the priest was saying out aloud. I never had many friends. I don-t remeber much, as then I fell into depression at about 10 years old. Then I got treated at 19, but now I can-t focus on my studies, my bf says be talks to me and I don-t seem to listen, I am tired after 3 hours of trying to focus. Really I -m always tired! I can stare at a page trying to read it for hours and not managing as my minds drifts away over another million things, not related to it, then I re read and re read until I get frustrated, and get depressed.
What do you think?
Simmy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:
Unread 04-06-2013, 01:50 AM   #2

Maus5321 has no updates.

My Mood:

42 hugs
given
Default Re: Why is no one believing me?

Sounds like it could be to me. hang tough. You need to change doctors and find someone who specializes in ADD. Often times people who have ADD will develop depression due to there self esteem taking such a huge hit over there lifetime. Not to mention we are afraid to engage people in conversation as they think we are not listening to them, which give them the impression they are uninteresting. When in fact it is not your fault nor there's for what occurs. We also feel a lot of times we can never do anything right which forces us further into depression. Often if ADD is diagnosed correctly and treated with medication and the medication works. Self esteem will rise, depression will get better and confidence will reemerge. So I suggest trying to find a new doctor and see where that takes. You it is not an easy road to find one sometimes. I had been through 3 doctors over my life before I found the right one. She was my 4th try. I got the same diagnosis as you from the first 3 doctors I saw + a few other conditions. They told me I had anxiety, depression and social phobia. Ocd like tendencies. Once I was diagnosed with ADD they all made sense and were all cause by my ADD. All the conditions could be perfectly explained by my add. Hope this helps

Doctors label people with depression/anxiety because it is easier to diagnose. Plus there is a lot less yellow tape to navigate when someone is diagnosed with them vs ADD. Doctors have to watch there ADD patients for signs they are abusing the adderall etc.
Maus5321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2013, 02:10 AM   #3
Simmy22 has no updates.

My Mood:

The fact is that where I live, there are only few psychiatrists! I live on an island. So its more difficult for me, besides, I m not rich to travel, since I m still a student. My goal is to become a psychiatrist, and try to understand people more, as I think that if you don-t pass trough these things you will never really understand!
Unread 04-06-2013, 02:31 AM   #4

Maus5321 has no updates.

My Mood:

42 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmy22 View Post
The fact is that where I live, there are only few psychiatrists! I live on an island. So its more difficult for me, besides, I m not rich to travel, since I m still a student. My goal is to become a psychiatrist, and try to understand people more, as I think that if you don-t pass trough these things you will never really understand!
I truly Agree! The best way to understand someone is have walked down the same path. I wish you the best of luck. I wish I could offer more advice. But you are just gonna have to stay with. Things will turn around!

I am sorry you do not have more options available to you.
Maus5321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2013, 12:15 PM   #5
Pandita-in-training

Perna is feeling.

8 yr Member
434 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

You could have both: ADHD Related Conditions: Depression in ADD Adults | ADDitude - ADHD & LD Adults and Children

ADHD and Depression: Common Bedfellows | World of Psychology

I would work with your doctor to make the depression meds work well (so you aren't tired all the time, sounds like that's new) and bring up the other problems you are having.
Unread 04-07-2013, 01:45 AM   #6
Simmy22 has no updates.

My Mood:

The fact is that I managed to pass my exams somehow, I usually manage to study only the last week, or the last day before my exams. I was coping well till A levels, then i always felt I was falling back in uni. I got into depression after the first year. I managed to pass the other 4 yrs, by postponing exams, or resits. I had a better IQ when I was young.
Unread 04-07-2013, 07:05 AM   #7

2_b_free has no updates.

My Mood:

9 hugs
given

That doesn't sound like ADHD, it sounds like college life. A very large group of college students fake ADHD to get medication to get through marathon study sessions. If you are getting A's and passing exams, sound like you just need to buckle down and get to work. There are people who really have ADHD and they can't get medication because too many college students are lying to get speed.
2_b_free is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 07:52 AM   #8
Simmy22 has no updates.

My Mood:

I-m not getting A-s. I am getting C and D or having to resit, when I used to get A-s. I m not facking anything. I can-t study!
Unread 04-07-2013, 08:20 AM   #9
montanan4ever has no updates.

56 hugs
given

Have you had a very thorough medical evaluation, including extensive bloodwork? You could have any of a number of conditions, such as anemia, hypothyroidism or lots of other things that cause fatigue and brain fog.

You are self-diagnosing. That's why people are looking askance at your assertions. Please get fully evaluated.
montanan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 08:28 AM   #10
Simmy22 has no updates.

My Mood:

I did all blood work already, all normal