Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Mental Health Support > Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD/ADHD)

advertisement
Unread 12-14-2011, 10:32 AM   #1

Laura88 just gettin by

My Mood:

2 yr Member
137 hugs
given
Default Generic Adderall

So i take the generic form of adderall and there are days it doesn't work. Just wondering if it's just me or is there others it isn't working for. It's so hard not knowing from one day to the next if i'm going to be ok or am i going to do or say something wrong do to the meds. I hope i get an snwser from someone else so i know it's just not me.......
Laura88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:
Unread 12-15-2011, 07:05 AM   #2
≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈
Community Liaison

Lexi232 Please ignore my hugs badge. I <3 giving hugs, but dont like the # being public...

My Mood:

5 yr Member
1,832 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Generic Adderall

(((((Laura Applegate)))))

Can you talk to your pdoc about this? You may need a change, or an upped dose, or more doses during the day.
Do you have any physical health problems? Such as Crohn's or anything that makes it hard for your body to absorb things before ridding it out of the system?
Is there any common things (Situations, meds, and such) that happen or don't happen on the day that this happens? do you get nauseated or have a stomach bug?
Unread 12-15-2011, 07:28 AM   #3
Emotional masochist

VenusHalley believes in the people and in human strenght

My Mood:

3 yr Member
6 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

How do you define "work"?

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." Krishnamurti

http://venushalley1984.wordpress.com/

I am a hippie. A surrealist. A post-modernist. I was born in the Eastern Bloc. It shines through in my postings. You been warned. Don't take it personally.
VenusHalley is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2011, 08:23 AM   #4

Laura88 just gettin by

My Mood:

2 yr Member
137 hugs
given

I have no other prob other then adhd. What i mean by they dont work some days, it's hard for me to focus and not but in when others r trying to talk. I have a hard time finishing what i started and other days i do ok on the meds. This is the first month of being on adhd meds and i really don't know if it's just me or r the meds soppost to work good everyday. Also the meds wear off around lunch and i struggle with the rest of the day.
Unread 12-15-2011, 08:36 AM   #5
Emotional masochist

VenusHalley believes in the people and in human strenght

My Mood:

3 yr Member
6 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I have never been officially diagnosed ADHD, but I have strong traits.... and i experience variations of quality (i have some other MD issues, but I don't think that is the problem here).

questions is how big are the differences. I think even "normals" have better days, not so good days and straight godawful days.

Maybe it depends on what are you doing? Something is more attention capturing? Stress can be influence. Even the weather and biorythms (some are more sensitive to it than others).

are you seeing a therapist? what is your biggest problem? Lack of focus, disorganization, lack of motivation, perhaps underlying anxiety issues?

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." Krishnamurti

http://venushalley1984.wordpress.com/

I am a hippie. A surrealist. A post-modernist. I was born in the Eastern Bloc. It shines through in my postings. You been warned. Don't take it personally.
VenusHalley is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2011, 12:34 PM   #6
Pandita-in-training
Perna is feeling.

5 yr Member
413 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I would keep a journal for awhile; see if you can see any trends around nutrition or other physical aspects (sleep quality) and when you have better or worse days?

Quote:
Urinary and stomach pH levels can have a strong effect on DL-amphetamine excretion and absorption. An acidic stomach and GI pH will decrease the absorption of Adderall, and acidic urine levels will decrease the reabsorption of the drug through the renal system. Co-administration of acidic substances (e.g., citric acid) causes decreased renal reabsorption of DL-amphetamine; whereas, alkaline agents (e.g., antacids) may cause a marked increase in renal tubular reabsorption. The increased reabsorption can increase the retention of amphetamines, with potential to result in dangerously high serum levels.
Perna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2011, 05:36 PM   #7
Grand Member

AniManiac is Dr. Maniac.

My Mood:

2 yr Member
73 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura Applegate View Post
I have no other prob other then adhd. What i mean by they dont work some days, it's hard for me to focus and not but in when others r trying to talk. I have a hard time finishing what i started and other days i do ok on the meds. This is the first month of being on adhd meds and i really don't know if it's just me or r the meds soppost to work good everyday. Also the meds wear off around lunch and i struggle with the rest of the day.
I've had issues with ADHD meds wearing off. Usually it meant I needed a higher dose, or a second dose later in the day.

Edit: also, yes, they pretty much work every day. Some days more effectively than others, but I can definitely tell the difference from not taking it at all.
AniManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2011, 11:33 PM   #8
sensiblecityboy has no updates.

2 yr Member

Well I myself used to take adderal and eventually I felt like I was becoming immune to it but u may just need a little mire dosage...how many mgs are u taking?
sensiblecityboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2011, 02:30 PM   #9

Laura88 just gettin by

My Mood:

2 yr Member
137 hugs
given

Only 20. And once a day.
Unread 01-26-2012, 11:58 AM   #10

LibertyBelle Hacker Ethic: The value system of computer enthusiasts who believe in helping each other advance technology without immediate concern for making money.

My Mood:

2 yr Member
35 hugs
given

I've noticed this too. I've been on 20mg XR twice daily for years. I took name brand Adderall until about 3 years ago. Usually it's fine but I occasionally run into a pill that seems like it's a placebo or just diluted. There are a few different makers of generics, one time my pharmacy had to give me mixed bottle of two different makers and I noticed some slight differences but I can't rightly recall the specifics. I figured my mind was playing tricks on my so I put it out of my head.

Quoting from wikipedia on generic drugs, "The FDA requires the bioequivalence of the generic product to be between 80% and 125% of that of the innovator product.".

Adderall is made of 4 different amphetamine salts. From what I've felt, it seems like the generics have slightly different ratios of those four salts. This is pure speculation, I really don't know for sure, but they feel slightly different in very subtle ways and that's a reasonable, though currently unsubstantiated, explanation.
LibertyBelle is offline   Reply With Quote