Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Mental Health Support > Anxiety, Panic and Phobias

advertisement
Unread 08-14-2014, 10:25 PM   #1
HelpNeeder has no updates.

Default New psychiatrist & new medication

A year ago I found a psychiatrist who understood some English as I am living in Spain. She couldn‘t really speak the language and so last week I decided to find another psychiatrist. Luckily I found one and she’s so hot! As I said in a previous post I have been suffering from anxiety for a few years but I didn’t seek help until last year for the first time. My old psychiatrist prescribed Clonazepam 0.5 mg for a few months and then I took Escitalopram 10 mg for nearly a year. My new psychiatrist says that since I’m still feeling nervous and having bad thoughts after such a long time on that antidepressant that it is clearly not working for me and so she got me started on Clonazepam again, just for a few weeks, and now I’m supposed to take Paroxetine 20 mg from now on. She told me that if my antidepressant is working then I should be anxiety-free or at least near-anxiety-free. She also told me that since I waited so long to seek professional help that my recovery would be more difficult than that of people who seek help immediately but that I should be able to live a good life.

How many antidepressants did you guys have to try out until you found the right one?

With the right antidepressant, would you say that you are anxiety-free?
HelpNeeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:
Unread 08-15-2014, 05:46 PM   #2
Legendary Wise Elder
Community Liaison

kaliope is waking up earlier and earlier. does she finally have courage to face the world?

My Mood:

3 yr Member
6,890 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: New psychiatrist & new medication

I probably tried 3-4 other antidepressants before I got the right one. it does nothing for my anxiety however. there are antidepressants that work as antianxietys as well. mine is not in that class. I take buspar for my anxiety. it is not addictive. I have never heard if your depression goes away so does your anxiety. I was off antidepressants for years and not depressed and still anxious. I think it may be her personal belief or the fact that she may be prescribing the class of antidepressants that handle anxiety as well.

kaliope is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2014, 01:13 PM   #3

JFPL has no updates.

My Mood:

Default Re: New psychiatrist & new medication

I've tried four antidepressant for anxiety so far and none of them worked. Some people respond a lot better to antidepressants for anxiety than others, so it's hard to tell whether it will work for you or not. I have heard that paroxetine is supposed to be one of the better ones for anxiety, though. Good luck.
JFPL is offline   Reply With Quote