Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Mental Health Support > Anxiety, Panic and Phobias

advertisement
Unread 08-14-2014, 08:03 PM   #1
Soul_Flower43 is on a healing journey

My Mood:

91 hugs
given
Default Mind going completely blank in social situations...

Mind going completely blank, what social situations where you in that this happened to you?
Soul_Flower43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2014, 08:27 PM   #2

My Mood:

91 hugs
given
Default Re: Mind going completely blank in social situations...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul_Flower43 View Post
Mind going completely blank, what social situations where you in that this happened to you?

My mind going completely blank on me when I was...

*in a group setting with a couple of friends and the rest were strangers to me. We were all playing this Murder Mystery Game at my friend's place. Leading up to that night, I was extremely anxious about it and wanting to make an excuse to not go. I decided to go. Whenever it was my turn, I would do my best to participate but my mind kept drawing blanks. I couldn't read what was infront of me and the words on the booklet became so blurry. The more I felt this way the worse my anxieties got especially when others started to catch on I wasn't playing the game right. That made me even worse! I had no clue what I was doing... my mind and body were shutting down on me. I was so embarrassed and made an excuse that I wasn't feeling well and left after the game was done. One of the people there, said I was cheating and spoiled the game. Ugh! I said to myself, "Never again!"

I never played another social game after that. I only play games with my family who I feel very comfortable with.

*In a classroom discussion in high school. I was called upon by the teacher and right there, my mind shuts down and goes completely blank while everyone is staring and waiting for me to participate in the discussion. My face was burning red with embarrassment. I didn't know what to say. I just shrugged my shoulders with a weak smile hoping he would take the hint to move on from me.

*A job interview where two ladies were interviewing me. They would take turns asking me questions. I was SO overwhelmed by this, and felt like I was being interrogated by them for this part-time sales position. My mind went completely blank! I couldn't think straight and the more they stared at me the worse my anxiety symptoms got. I must of looked pretty stupid when I couldn't answer their questions promptly and professionally like expected. All I wanted to do is get the hell out of there!

*I've experienced my mind going blank even during tests, or exams that made me extremely anxious.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Unread 08-19-2014, 08:26 AM   #3
Wisest Elder Ever

Fuzzybear in my cave

10 yr Member
9,559 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

This happens to me too, it sucks!

Fuzzy
Unread 08-19-2014, 08:36 AM   #4
Poohbah

Hobbit House state of confusion

My Mood:

123 hugs
given

My mind goes blank in group Therapy sessions. Any public speaking event, gives me seriously high anxiety
You live in illusion and the appearance of things. There is a reality, but you do not know this. When you understand this, you will see that you are nothing. And being nothing, you are everything. That is all.

Bipolar 1
PTSD
anxiety

Prozac 40mg
Buspar 60mg x2 daily
Zyprexa 10mg
Hobbit House is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 08-19-2014, 01:55 PM   #5

My Mood:

91 hugs
given

Thank you for sharing.
Unread 08-19-2014, 02:01 PM   #6

My Mood:

91 hugs
given

Very frustrating, how anxious our minds get, to the point we're losing our focus on what is set upon us. The more 'we think' of others taking notice of our anxious symtoms, the worse we get.

Last edited by Soul_Flower43; 08-19-2014 at 03:43 PM.
Hugs from:
Unread 08-19-2014, 02:26 PM   #7

My Mood:

91 hugs
given

I was reading an article on Math Anxiety. Just happened to come across it, when I was browsing other anxiety articles. I've noticed, when it comes to solving math problems, my mind gets anxious and can draw blanks, if under a certain amount of pressure.

My mind and body definitely react in a negative way, when it comes to math. And I know why, I do this.

Way back in elementary school, this grade 5 teacher Mrs. D., would label students with a negative name title. Mine was 'Stupid.' She gave me this name because I had difficulty doing fractions. I didn't understand her instructions and was falling behind. She would call upon me, to give her the answers to some fractions. Of course, I couldn't do it. So she called me, 'Stupid.' She didn't stop there, she had to futher humiliate me infront of the other students, by sending me to a desk in the corner of the classroom called... the 'Stupid Desk' for stupid students.

So yes, this disturbed me for a very long time! I know this caused my 'Math Anxieties.' For the longest time, I despised this woman. There was a time, that I wanted to confront her when I was adult.
Hugs from:
Unread 08-19-2014, 10:09 PM   #8
anon20141119
anon20141119 has no updates. Edit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul_Flower43 View Post
So yes, this disturbed me for a very long time! I know this caused my 'Math Anxieties.' For the longest time, I despised this woman. There was a time, that I wanted to confront her when I was adult.
Some of the experiences here you've drawn on throughout this thread have happened to me. I'm fully aware now of why I avoid certain things...there was a time I couldn't understand it. I'm wondering you say 'wanted to'; what made your wish go away?
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 08-19-2014, 10:54 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Black_Raynebow23 has no updates.

My Mood:

198 hugs
given

It happens to me, in most conversations. I'm either thinking way too fast or I get nervous then poof, blankness! It's very frustrating and embarrassing.
Unread 08-19-2014, 10:59 PM   #10

My Mood:

91 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by floating.feather View Post
Some of the experiences here you've drawn on throughout this thread have happened to me. I'm fully aware now of why I avoid certain things...there was a time I couldn't understand it. I'm wondering you say 'wanted to'; what made your wish go away?
Hello floating.feather

I had moved far away from that place I grew up, so that put the distance between us. I guess, over the years, I got busy and forgot about her. She was in her 50's when she taught me, so I knew she would be retired. I would of had to search for her and I felt it wasn't worth it anymore.

I know she was in the wrong for treating me and other students this way. She owns it, and has to live with what she has done to little children. She was married, but didn't have any children of her own. She was a miserable lady, as I recall. Seemed to be always frowning and get annoyed easily by us kids. I remember her making us sit on our hands for a very long time at our desks for disturbing her, or the rest of the class. This would make our hands go numb and put us behind in our schoolwork. She did a lot of strange things.

Last edited by Soul_Flower43; 08-19-2014 at 11:39 PM.