Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Mental Health Support > Anxiety, Panic and Phobias

advertisement
Unread 05-02-2014, 08:19 PM   #1

gon3withth3wend Can I lay in bed forever?

My Mood:

2 yr Member
13 hugs
given
Default What is anxiety for you?

I always overthink things. I worry that the worst will happen and I always have. My nerves keep me from getting important things done and from doing my best on tasks. Uncontrollable shaking, crying, and just a sickening fear that I feel in the pit of my stomach accompanies a lot of daily tasks for me. My therapist at college says that I might have an anxiety issue. I don't quite understand anxiety. I don't have what I'd consider to be panic attacks. My therapist wants me to get on a medication that would treat my depression and anxiety. My mom doesn't think I need medication. My pediatrician told me to talk through it in therapy. I agree I shouldn't go on medication, and I'm not sure if I actually have anxiety? My best friend told me "Everyone has anxiety, it's normal." I always get into rants. What does anxiety feel like for you? What is anxiety?
gon3withth3wend is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 05-02-2014, 10:58 PM   #2
Anonymous100125
Anonymous100125 has no updates. Edit

Default Re: What is anxiety for you?

You've described anxiety quite precisely, as I understand it. For me there's all that...also a sense of dread....angst...fear (terrible) of things that are nothing to be afraid of (a piece of furniture, or going into a certain store). I also am bipolar, though, so some of my spinny-dreading feelings and thoughts might be due to hypomania.

Anyone else...?
Unread 05-03-2014, 01:17 AM   #3
Trebyn has no updates.

I'd describe it as extreme uneasiness. As though everything is super important and if you happen to do something the wrong way way there will be (unspecified) consequences, yet there is no reward for getting it right.

Even things that shouldn't register at all in your mind feel like a test that you're failing. Stupid things like walking across a parking lot. Inside my head I'm thinking "Are my arms remaining still when I walk? Are people noticing? What do I do with my hands? A car is coming, should I hurry or let them pass? Oh no they stopped for me, now I have to walk in front of them. Did I go too slow? I look stupid jogging" etc etc.

I think all the things my brain should filter out and not have me worry about are instead shoved to the forefront as if they demand my immediate attention. As I try to avoid screwing up in one area it will distract me from another, which then builds the anxiety up. That leads to extreme nervousness, fidgeting, difficulty finding words and speaking properly, shakiness, difficulty breathing...

Even as I'm typing this I went through and changed some words when I noticed I'd used them too many times, because "Oh no, what if someone reads it and I said 'as though' too many times!" It's ridiculous, but it happens whenever I'm in an environment that creates anxiety, which is any time I'm interacting with people.
Trebyn is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 05-03-2014, 01:50 AM   #4
The ghost at #1

George H. out like a tiger

My Mood:

2 yr Member
3,568 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Good posts. Anxiety has so many forms and faces. The worst for me are just generalized feelings.
The feeling that something is terribly terribly wrong but I'm not sure what. Agitated misery.
The feeling that I've done something awful but I don't know what.
A feeling like unease about going out... but it goes way beyond uneasiness. I'm not sure I have a word for it. Dread but not quite.
I think you def have an anxiety problem. The absolute worst thing about anxiety is its ability to feed on itself and grow.
I think you should try something... just begin and see where it leads. Use meds as a last resort.

était-ce un ręve?
était-ce juste un ręve?
George H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2014, 08:08 PM   #5
Anonymous100125
Anonymous100125 has no updates. Edit

"My nerves keep me from getting important things done and from doing my best on tasks."

That sentence alone indicates to me that you would probably feel tremendous relief on a medication. Why not live your best life?
Unread 05-12-2014, 11:26 PM   #6

anxteach has no updates.

My Mood:

70 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebyn View Post
I'd describe it as extreme uneasiness. As though everything is super important and if you happen to do something the wrong way way there will be (unspecified) consequences, yet there is no reward for getting it right.

Even things that shouldn't register at all in your mind feel like a test that you're failing. Stupid things like walking across a parking lot. Inside my head I'm thinking "Are my arms remaining still when I walk? Are people noticing? What do I do with my hands? A car is coming, should I hurry or let them pass? Oh no they stopped for me, now I have to walk in front of them. Did I go too slow? I look stupid jogging" etc etc.

I think all the things my brain should filter out and not have me worry about are instead shoved to the forefront as if they demand my immediate attention. As I try to avoid screwing up in one area it will distract me from another, which then builds the anxiety up. That leads to extreme nervousness, fidgeting, difficulty finding words and speaking properly, shakiness, difficulty breathing...

Even as I'm typing this I went through and changed some words when I noticed I'd used them too many times, because "Oh no, what if someone reads it and I said 'as though' too many times!" It's ridiculous, but it happens whenever I'm in an environment that creates anxiety, which is any time I'm interacting with people.
Oh my goodness, your first sentence is a perfect description! That's how I feel too. Thanks for putting it into words!
anxteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2014, 11:06 PM   #7
GSFarm has no updates.

I am an over thinker. I think about EVERYTHING and it makes me very uneasy. Everything from what I have to get done in a day to deeply religious or "existential" things that get my nerves really going.

I get panic attacks too which kind of set off my anxiety. I fear that I am losing my mind and am "crazy."

I go to school three hours from a tiny home town I grew up in and the transition has been awful but I find that when I go home it gets a lot better.
GSFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2014, 11:32 PM   #8

JustTvTroping "...Why am I always hungry?"

My Mood:

56 hugs
given

A shockwave that hits me out of nowhere. A dreadful surprise that comes with "mini gifts." I shiver, my hearts beats hard, I breathe fast and heavily, and I can't think straight. If it gets bad enough, it ends in a panic attack (luckily these are rare). I cringe at the sensations that have been felt during such a process (especially when they happen while I'm driving). Maybe that's why some people thought they were dying when having a panic attack...
JustTvTroping is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2014, 02:06 PM   #9
Grand Poohbah

BlessedRhiannon has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
20 hugs
given

Well - there's anxiety and then there's ANXIETY!!!!!

Yes, everyone experiences anxiety in their lives. Folks stress about jobs, money, family, all kinds of stuff. But, it's typically a focused worry and it's not all consuming. It's hard for people that experience "normal" anxiety to really understand what it's like to suffer from an anxiety disorder.

Then, there's ANXIETY!!!! That's where you worry about things to the point of it affecting your daily life. You have concrete physical symptoms - shaking, nausea, sweating, dissociating, feeling a desire to flee, difficulty breathing, racing heart, etc. That's when it's time to seek treatment of some kind. I've worked for years with a therapist, but didn't see really marked improvement until I also got on medication. The combination of medication and therapy has helped me tremendously.

In direct response to your question - for me, anxiety is constant, repetitive thoughts and motions. It's a terror that seizes me for no obvious reason, and causes me to either freeze or have a strong urge to just escape. I get an upset stomach, my hands shake, my pulse races, I struggle to breathe. My brain shuts down and I'm stuck in an axiety loop, where higher thought is nearly impossible. Then, I start to dissociate...it feels like my body isn't even connected to me and I mentally just check out.

I think this little comic does a great job explaining anxiety! Apologies for the terrible image quality - I?m...
Unread 05-18-2014, 08:47 PM   #10
Grand Magnate

Hellion has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
6 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

That actually does sound a lot like a possible anxiety issue. I have to say though your friend is a bit misinformed, yes everyone feels anxious sometimes but not everyone has an anxiety disorder that interferes with their daily life...it does sound like you could though.

What you describe is by no means normal anxiety that everyone experiences...I can't tell you what to do but an anxiety medication could be helpful but its really up to you it is nice to have some relief though.