Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Mental Health Support > Anxiety, Panic and Phobias

advertisement
Unread 01-10-2012, 09:33 PM   #1
hartbroken has no updates.

3 yr Member
Default Nervous Stomach/ IBS

I've had nervous stomach since I was in my teens. It's come back, in disguise. It affects my worry, anxiety, feeling troubled, feeling stressed out,... I am also bipolar and experience regular anxiety from depression. How many of you have nervous stomach, and how do you effectively treat it?

Lithium, Zoloft, Trazodone
hartbroken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2012, 12:02 AM   #2
Legendary Wise Elder &
Senior
Community Liaison

Travelinglady says, "New and need help? Contact us Community Liaisons!"

My Mood:

3 yr Member
10,678 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Nervous Stomach/ IBS

I've been diagnosed with IBS. I can't figure out if it's stress-related or just some malfunction of my intestines. I take klonopin for anxiety and I still have problems. I usually just take Pepto-Bismol. A prescription drug for it didn't seem to do much but make me drowsy.

Have you tried relaxation techniques and cognitive-behavioral therapy (working on thinking processes)? I do them, but I still get IBS. Some folks say it can be part of fibromyalgia, which I have.....

I know my son gets lots of stomach aches, etc. He's 20. I think his stress hits that part of his body, and mine, too, sometimes, I do think.

I don't know if I've really answered your question, but I tried.....
Unread 01-11-2012, 11:55 AM   #3
woman warrior +
morningcalm dance to the music of time: 1st movement

5 yr Member PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartbroken View Post
I've had nervous stomach since I was in my teens. It's come back, in disguise. It affects my worry, anxiety, feeling troubled, feeling stressed out,... I am also bipolar and experience regular anxiety from depression. How many of you have nervous stomach, and how do you effectively treat it?
IBS can present with abdominal cramping, constipation, diarrhea or combination of all of the above. There are different ways to address each. Dicyclomine is a antispasmodic medication that many people with ibs find helpful for intestinal cramping. Metamucil can be helpful for both constipation and diarrhea. Most people know that metamucil is useful for relieving constipation but it turns out it is also useful for diarrhea because it acts as a bulking agent for loose stools. Lifestyle strategies are also important. Exercise, proper sleep, and avoiding dietary triggers such as caffeine, dairy, spicy foods, greasy foods, alcohol, etc. Adjusting psychiatric medications to better treat underlying anxiety or depression can also be helpful.
morningcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2012, 01:13 AM   #4

vanessaG has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
197 hugs
given

I have ibs x 100. I went to gi doc and he rx'd me amitza.
It works, but it's expensive. 30 pills cost me $45 with ins, $200 something without!!!
Thankfully he gave me 6 months of samples.

Anyways I won't go for weeks. It turned out for a month one time and sometimes it's opposite. When I don't go I take those pills for a couple days and boom! Back on track (till next time :/).

I can feel the pill working on day 2 or 3 cause I stRt getting cramps and pain kind of similar to beg labor pains lol. I actually need to go back to gi doc and follow up....I been too busy trying to fix my head everything is falling on the back burner!
vanessaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2012, 01:27 AM   #5
Anonymous32476
Anonymous32476 has no updates. Edit

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartbroken View Post
I have a nervous stomach as well. The dr dx me with IBS but figured it wasn't it since if I go to the bathroom my stomach would hurt worse at times. When I get stressed & anxious it affects my stomach. My abdomen always seem to hurt. I don't have any treatment for it...just kinda deal with it. I go to this free clinic on Sunday & will mention it to see if I can get some kind of help because lately my stomach has been hurting worse.
Unread 01-17-2012, 12:46 AM   #6
Ycart has no updates.

2 yr Member

I try not to think about my tummy issues. Diarrhea sucks so i try not to stress or it will get worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk fiverr.com/adnagam
Ycart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2012, 10:20 AM   #7
Grand Magnate
Community Liaison

gma45 A friend is someone who knows you and likes you anyway!

My Mood:

3 yr Member
1,557 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I used to have it real bad, I had my medication adjusted and things changed also I eat lots and lots of yogurt and no fried foods!
gma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2012, 05:21 PM   #8
Fullofanxiety has no updates.

2 yr Member

I find peppermint tea is best for my IBS I get 2 sorts. Nervous/stressed IBS results in bathroom visits, food related IBS is bloating and cramp, peppermint tea fixes the food related IBS almost instantly but takes longer to settle an anxious stomach.
Fullofanxiety is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2012, 11:09 AM   #9
Grand Magnate

unguy is feeling UGH!

My Mood:

3 yr Member
750 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I have both anxiety issues and IBS. For my IBS, I have to avoid all dairy products, all high fiber products, all deep fried foods and most acidic foods. If I watch my diet, I am fine. I find that exercise helps treat both my IBS and anxiety. My favorites are long walks, cycling and weight training. I don't do these exercises competitively because that would cause stress. Listening to relaxing music is also a treatment that works well for me.
unguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2012, 01:45 PM   #10
Grand Member

michele#3 is enjoying a new video game

My Mood:

5 yr Member
66 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I used to have IBS. I'm sure when I look back on it it was all due to anxiety.
I never took any medicine for it I just put up with it.
I don't have it anymore because I take several medicines now that cause constipation. I have to drink coffee now to help me go to the bathroom. I also try to drink more water. When I had IBS I wouldn't drink too much fluids before I went somewhere. I also wouldn't eat before I went out.
michele#3 is offline   Reply With Quote