Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Mental Health Support > Anxiety, Panic and Phobias

advertisement
Unread 09-24-2010, 01:33 AM   #1
Grand Magnate

Rhiannonsmoon Fighting a depressive attack

My Mood:

5 yr Member
14 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Noises triggering anxiety

Things have been difficult for the last few days. I've realised I am triggered by noises and my thoughts have been racing so fast over things I can't even remember most of them.

I wasn't sure there was such a thing as being triggered by noises I thoughts I was just taking after mum who can't stand whistling sets her off horrid.

But I've found that there are noise triggers. The ones that affect me are cracking of bones (fingers, ankles, knees etc), whistling (which I may have inherited from mum), The tinitus in my ears that drowns out most other noises. DJ rubbing his feet together, and when he plays with chocolate wrappers folds them and crinkles them up and twirls them, making a constant crackling noise.

Theres also this thing he does with a callous type thing on the inside of his thumb and he flicks at it or picks at it and It makes me feel utterly sick to my stomach. In fact I am certain he has developed dermotillomania because he's always picking at some part of his hands or arms. He is allergic to sandfly & mossie bites so when they flare up he is always at them. He can get rid of them by taking a course of antibiotics but he seems to prefer picking. Lets face it though who can resist picking?

I've started working out what (and who) they're related to so hopefully I can desensitise myself (yes I can really see that happening)

But these things have had me taking xanax regularly over the past 3 days or so and still on the verge of a meltdown. I haven't gone into panic attacks but I've been in tears.

Any advice would be gratefully received

Peace, the deep imperturbable peace is right there within you, quieten the mind and slow the heart and breathe...breathe in the perfume of the peace rose and allow it to spread throughout your mind body and senses...it can only benefit you and those you care about...I care about you
Rhiannonsmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2010, 01:52 AM   #2
walker
sanityseeker has no updates.

5 yr Member
Default Re: Noises triggering anxiety

I don't have any advice other then avoidance but that isn't always possible. I am incredibly noise sensitive when my anxiety is high. The sudden sound of a siren or a motor bike can bring me to my knees in a total meltdown within seconds. The sound of the chipmunks or birds singing outside my window have done the same. If my anxiety is low I may not even notice them but when its high I can be triggered into a total meltdown. It will paralyze me and I will cry for my son to come and close the window.

I was in Vegas in the spring for work and it was disasterous. Everything was triggering. It is not the place for someone who is hypersensitive to noises. Sometimes even the sound of someone's voice can flip me out. Between the competition with the voices in my head and being unable to focus and make sense of what they are saying to me in no time the effort just sends me over the edge.

My son likes to crack his knuckles and pick his nails. Drives me batty. And yes the crackling sounds of wrappers or chip bags brings my hands over my ears immediately. Even the sound of cars splashing water when it is raining can be too much for me to bare sometimes.

When my anxiety is high I just have to hide away. I will turn the tv onto a movie channel or pbs where there are no commercials. Why is it they still let commercials turn up the volume. arrggg! My best hide out is to go to the river where the rushing water drowns out everything else and I can just relax with its rythym.

Hypersensitivity is the pits. The degree of my reaction is dependent on my level of anxiety. I try to avoid going anywhere where there is a lot of noise.
sanityseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2010, 01:43 PM   #3
Major Dog Lover

sundog is barking up the wrong tree

3 yr Member PC PoohBah!

I'm so sorry you've been having this problem ((((((Rhiannon)))))) I can relate. Just as Sanityseeker says here, if my anxiety level is high, certain noises trigger yet more anxiety in me. Even at the best of times I am someone who really appreciates silence. I am not someone who likes to have the radio on or even listen to music very much. By far the most peaceful thing for me is silence.

I think it sounds like a good plan to make the connection between the noise and the thing/person causing it (and establishing that there is no real cause of concern). Also, as Sanityseeker says perhaps trying to spend as much time as possible in a quiet environment right now.

Or, alternatively, if you are someone who enjoys music, perhaps putting some headphones on and listening to something soothing?

I really hope you feel better soon
sundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2010, 03:01 PM   #4
Elder

Rohag is updating.

5 yr Member
2,645 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Thank you, Rhiannonsmoon, and everyone else for broaching this subject. In looking into sound sensitivity, I found the following topics/sites of initial value:

Hyperacusis
Hyperacusis Network
Hyperacusis.org
Wikipedia
Misophonia (AKA 4S)
Misophonia UK FAQ
Wikipedia
Though I haven't been diagnosed, I have good reason to believe I suffer from some sort of misophonia.
Unread 09-24-2010, 03:20 PM   #5
Major Dog Lover

sundog is barking up the wrong tree

3 yr Member PC PoohBah!

That's really interesting. Thanks for those links!
sundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2010, 08:29 PM   #6
Poohbah

ariesmars someone left me...15%

My Mood:

8 yr Member
97 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Oh good...someone else is affected by sounds. well not good, it is torture! i cant go outside during cricket season, i will curse, scream, cover ears, ect...i killed 2 of the damn bugs today at work behind the trash can. sorry bug lovers.
Unread 09-26-2010, 02:07 AM   #7
Poohbah

sunsetsunrise has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
226 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

(((((( Rhiannon )))))) I just saw this post now. However yesterday I sent you a message with a paragraph that has information with suggestion that might well lead to help. I am sorry this is happening.

I am a "HSP" (highly sensitive person). Do you know what that is? Sounds and other stimuli can be very challenging for HSP's. If you are not familiar with it, you might want to google. In the USA I was able to find the book " The Higly Sensitive person" by Elaine Aaron, in my tiny public library and read more about it. Elaine Aaron believes that people who are HSPs are born that way. For me, its part of the mosaic that is my life. Huge hugs for you wonderful woman.
sunsetsunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2010, 05:07 AM   #8
Wisest Elder Ever

Sabrina has no updates.

My Mood:

8 yr Member
1,753 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I am highly sensitive to repetitive sounds like dogs barking, lawnmowers, vacuum cleaners, power tools, revving motorbikes. All of these things send my anxiety into overdrive. I am glad there are others who are sensitive to noises. Makes me feel more normal. I can only sympathize with you all.

Crying isn't a sign of weakness. It's a sign of having tried too hard to be strong for too long.
Sabrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2010, 06:16 AM   #9
Account Suspended

snowgoose has no updates.

3 yr Member

I sympathize with anyone else who suffers noise sensitivity. It really gets in the way of living a normal life.
snowgoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2010, 12:58 PM   #10
Humble Peer

BrokenNBeautiful If you see a "hug" after your post, I MEAN IT!.

Location: not connected to anything but myself, my only reliable source
My Mood:

5 yr Member
1,329 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I am so glad I am not the only one who hates certain noises!

I can esp. relate to "repetitive noises", such as dogs, lawnmovers, snoring, power tools, hammering, cars idling outside, vrooming. Ugh.

Other sounds, too, like people hollering, tapping, whistling, also don't like nail-picking, knuckle-cracking (I was in a group of people one night and the man sitting next to me systematically cracked every knuckle on his hands and I looked over at him and I wanted to crush him; he looked back at me, as if to say, "Billi, I'm not doing anything." But I wanted to say, "Would you please *not do that*!")

I will close with this: Our neighbors have a toddler who likes to jump around in his room all night and it shakes the entire building! Arrggg...

So thanks, ppl!

Thought I was just nuts. lol

Billi