Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Mental Health Support > Personality Place > Antisocial Personality Disorder

advertisement
Unread 03-06-2009, 02:46 PM   #1
Your Host
Chat Leader

DocJohn is doing a-okay

My Mood:

10 yr Member
95 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Welcome to the Antisocial Personality Disorder forum

Welcome to a safe place to talk about antisocial personality disorder:

http://psychcentral.com/disorders/sx7.htm

Enjoy,
DocJohn

World of Psychology

↑ Grab this Headline Animator

DocJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 03-18-2009, 03:10 AM   #2
GrayNess has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
Default Re: Welcome to the Antisocial Personality Disorder forum

Hmm, slightly unactive area... . who here has, may have or has experience with people with APD?
GrayNess is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2009, 05:10 AM   #3
Magnate

Michah has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayNess View Post
Hmm, slightly unactive area... . who here has, may have or has experience with people with APD?
Haven't been dx with APD........but you know me Grayness, I am plenty anti-social!!!!

The only Truth that exists.....
.........Is that there is no absolute Truth.
Michah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2009, 10:53 PM   #4
GrayNess has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member

Haha, well, I'm waiting for the test results. Meh, might as well say I'm possibly APD and possibly NPD.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 04-09-2009, 05:14 PM   #5
blacksheep XX has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member

Well, I couldn't figure out how to start a new thread, so I'll reply to your Welcome Message by saying thanks, Doc!

I'm pretty certain I have a APD issue. I also have a bad case of treatment resistant depression from which I've suffered for 25 years. I've had unsuccessful ECT treatments and many drug trials. I have an unresolved sleep disorder as well. However; I write to you, here today about my problem with shoplifting. It's been going on for about a year and half and progressing. It's become a hobby. I'm a female, 44 yrs. old and every time I go into a store, I want to "get away with some thing." I feel childish and know I should be ashamed, but I love getting away with something for nothing, and with the economy so poor and us cutting back on our budget so severely, I always rationalize "buy one- take one."

I have a great therapist, but I don't want to share this with her. We have enough stuff that we are working on currently (unresolved family issues, cognitive & dialectical behavioral therapy, etc.) I fear that she will think less of me, too. It's such a stupid problem-- I can't believe that I can't figure out why I'm doing it, myself and why I can't just stop. I certainly know the unhappy end to this is getting caught, humiliated, and possibly sanctioned. It happened to me when I was in my early twenties and I had quit. Why can't I keep that in my head now and stop again? More importantly, why do I lack normal moral integrity?
blacksheep XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2009, 03:26 AM   #6
GrayNess has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksheep XX View Post
Well, I couldn't figure out how to start a new thread, so I'll reply to your Welcome Message by saying thanks, Doc!

I'm pretty certain I have a APD issue. I also have a bad case of treatment resistant depression from which I've suffered for 25 years. I've had unsuccessful ECT treatments and many drug trials. I have an unresolved sleep disorder as well. However; I write to you, here today about my problem with shoplifting. It's been going on for about a year and half and progressing. It's become a hobby. I'm a female, 44 yrs. old and every time I go into a store, I want to "get away with some thing." I feel childish and know I should be ashamed, but I love getting away with something for nothing, and with the economy so poor and us cutting back on our budget so severely, I always rationalize "buy one- take one."

I have a great therapist, but I don't want to share this with her. We have enough stuff that we are working on currently (unresolved family issues, cognitive & dialectical behavioral therapy, etc.) I fear that she will think less of me, too. It's such a stupid problem-- I can't believe that I can't figure out why I'm doing it, myself and why I can't just stop. I certainly know the unhappy end to this is getting caught, humiliated, and possibly sanctioned. It happened to me when I was in my early twenties and I had quit. Why can't I keep that in my head now and stop again? More importantly, why do I lack normal moral integrity?
The shoplifting sounds like kleptomania. I'm pretty sure there are treatment methods for it.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 04-18-2009, 09:26 PM   #7
Magnate

Michah has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksheep XX View Post

I am sure you have plenty of moral integrity!! Just by the nature of the fact that you recognise that it is a problem involves a conscience. The fact that you think(or don't want to) stop is because it involves dealing with an addiction or a comfort blanky. Known behaviour, especially if you get away with it, is the most comfortable(and the most stimulating!!. These are how habits are formed without us even knowing it. I am familiar with these nasty, insidious devils.

I wonder if you are doing a disservice though by not telling your therapist and i wonder if you have reverted back to it to satisfy filling a void that therapy has inadvertently reopened? Something particularly nasty that you are dealing with or discussing in length? Just a thought........

Babe, don't be so hard on yourself.......you understand the consequences and you are not morally corrupt. Just be careful and work towards telling your T.......they will not think less of you.

"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 04-19-2009, 10:47 PM   #8

roxyanne1 has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member

Hi Michah,
Do you have bpd as shoplifting is one of the symptoms. I have exactly the same problem & find myself staying away from the shops so i dont sucumb.
But if im in a shop and the intense compulsion comes to act i do.
I've been caught 4 times and once convicted, but my doctor (psych)
helped me out with a letter stating my mental condition. Do tell your dr as
one day you might need his help one day. But dont beat yourself up...This drags you down & with me i have a battle in my head & resolve to never do it again, but wouldnt you know it...again comes around again.
You are not bad just like me need some help..so tell your dr and i hope you have some success. I can go for a long while without doing it but the chance always comes back . But i think the longer i go without doing it
each time the better.
If you would like to contact me please send me a private message...if you know how...i don't
Roxyanne1

)
Unread 04-21-2009, 03:01 AM   #9
Magnate

Michah has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member PC PoohBah!

Sweetie, I have pm'ed you in response to your question........speak real soon......

Unread 04-21-2009, 12:14 PM   #10
blacksheep XX has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
Heart Re: Welcome to the Antisocial Personality Disorder forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michah View Post
Sweetie, I have pm'ed you in response to your question........speak real soon......
Thanks to all you caring souls who responded to my pain. I still struggle. I struggle between wanting to share with my therapist as a couple of you have recommended I do. But, this is hard for me because there is a big part of me that does NOT want to stop. I know it is because I have been getting away with it for a while now. In fact, I got caught and went to court and stopped for a couple of decades in the past, but since it started again, it's become an addiction that I actually enjoy and feel I "need" as a function of the poor economy and my struggle with finances. Scratch that. It's not true. I don't "need" it. That's just something I tell myself to justify the acts. Actually, it makes me feel good to have the stuff and then I feel bad about myself as a human being. My boyfriend knows and says I must stop. I know he's right. I stopped telling him what I have taken when it ceased being cute. Now I feel lonely with my secret, but equally thrilled when I can save a little money on something. I don't steal expensive things either. Usually food and cosmetics... the type of stores I frequent, and get pissed about the prices and how they add up. I like the feeling that at least I have gotten one item for free.
I don't know where this confession will take me, but thank you all for your empathy and compassion.

Blacksheepxx
blacksheep XX is offline   Reply With Quote