Psych Central

There's a Live Chat Happening Now!

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Mental Health Support > Personality Place > Antisocial Personality Disorder

advertisement
Unread 05-31-2013, 11:03 PM   #1
Jimi the rat

-jimi- is the scaredy-rat.

5 yr Member PC PoohBah!
Default Myers Briggs and psychopaths

I notice a few of the psychopaths MIA, but maybe the resident one will give me some insight in this matter.

People have been talking about the Myers Briggs thingy on several unrelated forums now so I started to wonder, is psychopathy connected to a certain personality type?

Instinctively I would say a psychopath is probably ESTP or ESTJ. So I turn to Google, and to my surprise the consensus seems to be a psychopath is an INTJ. I get the "T", it is sort of given. But the rest? Nah... I'm not convinced.

Anyone up for the topic?
-jimi- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2013, 02:07 AM   #2

Swabbingred woe unto a decaying earth..

My Mood:

3 hugs
given
Default Re: Myers Briggs and psychopaths

Not up for it.. another forum covered it up fairly well (probably where you found your said census) and 90% of them were introvert and majority INTJ or INTP.

I don't have an appetite for personality typology. Seems as arbitrary and silly as tarot cards.
“You are not an alcoholic or an addict. You are not incurably diseased. You have merely become dependent on substances or addictive behavior to cope with underlying conditions that you are now going to heal, at which time your dependency will cease completely and forever.”
Swabbingred is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2013, 02:16 AM   #3
Jimi the rat

5 yr Member PC PoohBah!

To me it makes sense, at least part of it. Extraversion and introversion I think are the most fundamental and stable personality traits. The others, they help me understand. It's just a description, arbitrary well yea maybe. It still puzzles me some that psychopaths would be introverts since introverts usually are quite sensitive.
Unread 06-01-2013, 04:45 AM   #4

Swabbingred woe unto a decaying earth..

My Mood:

3 hugs
given

Schizoids are introverts. Are they sensitive?
Don't coax the ilk with silly slippery slope concepts.
“You are not an alcoholic or an addict. You are not incurably diseased. You have merely become dependent on substances or addictive behavior to cope with underlying conditions that you are now going to heal, at which time your dependency will cease completely and forever.”
Swabbingred is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 06-01-2013, 05:28 AM   #5
saudade7 has no updates.

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimi... View Post
I notice a few of the psychopaths MIA, but maybe the resident one will give me some insight in this matter.

People have been talking about the Myers Briggs thingy on several unrelated forums now so I started to wonder, is psychopathy connected to a certain personality type?

Instinctively I would say a psychopath is probably ESTP or ESTJ. So I turn to Google, and to my surprise the consensus seems to be a psychopath is an INTJ. I get the "T", it is sort of given. But the rest? Nah... I'm not convinced.

Anyone up for the topic?

Anything in cluster B seems like it would be a paradox with introversion, considering that they all get a sense of identity and stimulation from being around others, but I think out of borderlines, narcissists, sociopaths, and histrionics, sociopaths are the most likely to be introverted. To understand this, first we have to know what introversion really means. It doesn't mean that a person is shy or hates people or doesn't like to talk. It means that small talk is painfully boring for the person and that they see no point in conversations that isn't goal-oriented. They don't have the patience for idle chit-chat that doesn't make a difference in their day. They are one-track-minded, so-to-speak, and don't like having to focus their limited attention on something dull.

Introverts can be leaders, public speakers, exhibitionists, performers, etc...

Many famous people are introverts. They may not seem shy, and they're probably not, but they're introverted because when they're not doing what they're famous for they're collecting their thoughts in private and applying quiet introspection.
saudade7 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 06-01-2013, 11:04 PM   #6
Jimi the rat

5 yr Member PC PoohBah!

I understand introversion is more than how outgoing you might seem. But the way I think of it, extraverts need others to keep their mind going. If a psychopath is introvert but fun and charming, does that mean that his introversion is truer than his actions?
Unread 06-05-2013, 10:09 PM   #7
Grand Poohbah

Shayatanica { feel the force of time weighing down my mind }

My Mood:

3 yr Member
657 hugs
given

Introverts still have jobs & social interactions, do they not? They still have obligations which contradict their nature to be solitary & secretive. Thus is the case with people with aspd... Though I honestly don't think it's as simple as four personality features which can ultimately define someone. Someone with aspd could just as likely be "sensing" vs. "intuitive" as they may be less likely to care about the underlying connections between concepts/people in a less curious-type, but that's just me! I'm an INTJ but I can't really see why that's any more relevant to a personality disorder as, say, haircolour?
"It is pleasure that lurks in the practice of every one of your virtues. Man performs actions because they are good for him, and when they are good for other people as well they are thought virtuous ... It is for your private pleasure that you give twopence to a beggar as much as it is for my private pleasure that I drink another whiskey and soda. I, less of a humbug than you, neither applaud myself for my pleasure nor demand your admiration." - W. Somerset Maugham
Shayatanica is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2013, 05:31 PM   #8
Poohbah

Lycanthrope has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member

You can have ASPD and be both. ASPD and schizoid/paranoid features would be more introverted, whereas ASPD and narcissistic/histrionic characteristics would be more extraverted.
Lycanthrope is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 06-08-2013, 09:17 PM   #9
Jimi the rat

5 yr Member PC PoohBah!

Even if you totally would buy into the typology, I tend to bump into intuitives online.... maybe sensing people are not particularly interested in online communication? My friend who is ISFJ hates the Internet for anything than games and news and those things.

So maybe that is why one sees many INTJ online even if it is said it is rare?...

Myself I am an INTJ, and even if you probably do find different types spread out over several diagnoses, it irks me that I share the type with a quite large number of psychopaths.

And even if typology cannot match a diagnosis, is there one single psychopath who is a "feeler" and not a "thinker"?
Unread 06-10-2013, 06:11 PM   #10
Grand Poohbah

Shayatanica { feel the force of time weighing down my mind }

My Mood:

3 yr Member
657 hugs
given

Maybe someone who is more impulsive & prone to following their fits of anger instead of thinking about what is in their best interests?
"It is pleasure that lurks in the practice of every one of your virtues. Man performs actions because they are good for him, and when they are good for other people as well they are thought virtuous ... It is for your private pleasure that you give twopence to a beggar as much as it is for my private pleasure that I drink another whiskey and soda. I, less of a humbug than you, neither applaud myself for my pleasure nor demand your admiration." - W. Somerset Maugham
Shayatanica is offline   Reply With Quote