Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Mental Health Support > Personality Place > Antisocial Personality Disorder

advertisement
Closed Thread
Unread 11-27-2010, 02:06 PM   #1
Amy
Amy has no updates. Edit

Confused Why are women attracted to sociopaths?

Women seem to be drawn to sociopaths and I could never figure out why.

Does anyone have the answers?

Unread 11-28-2010, 12:01 AM   #2
Anonymous32970
Anonymous32970 has no updates. Edit

Default Re: Why are women attracted to sociopaths?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltazar View Post
Women seem to be drawn to sociopaths and I could never figure out why.

Does anyone have the answers?
I have several answers for you, most of which appease my own ego.

Psychopaths are very charming. I'm not exaggerating or gloating, either. It's actually one of the criteria. Many psychopaths are so charming and cunningly deceitful that experienced criminal psychologists succumb to their charms to the point of giving them money, housing them, and even making attempts to get them out of prison. Again, I'm not gloating. There are case studies of this phenomenon.

A few other things... We live life on the wild side. Literally. Most women find this exciting, at least at first glance. We're also quite mysterious. However, this is usually because most of our stories are lies and consequently quite vague. Our self-created history is usually based off cliche roles (i.e., the abused child who grew up to donate millions to charity, the man who nearly escaped cancer and is now living like there's no tomorrow, the rags to riches businessman, and so forth). One would think people could see through these cliches and lies easily. But psychopaths are experts at playing on people's emotional needs and desires. We can and will play any role that we think will please our love interest, business partner, friend, or other such person. This illusion of emotional attachment (as well as a cokctail (sic) of other charms and thrills) can be so strong that it blinds the psychopath's partner of the inconsistencies in the psychopath's many stories and manipulative tendencies. Any person who watches this relationship from the sidelines can (and usually does) notice how manipulative the psychopath is.

I might add more to this later... It's getting late...

"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 11-28-2010, 09:28 AM   #3
Amy
Amy has no updates. Edit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myers View Post
I have several answers for you, most of which appease my own ego.

Psychopaths are very charming. I'm not exaggerating or gloating, either. It's actually one of the criteria. Many psychopaths are so charming and cunningly deceitful that experienced criminal psychologists succumb to their charms to the point of giving them money, housing them, and even making attempts to get them out of prison. Again, I'm not gloating. There are case studies of this phenomenon.

A few other things... We live life on the wild side. Literally. Most women find this exciting, at least at first glance. We're also quite mysterious. However, this is usually because most of our stories are lies and consequently quite vague. Our self-created history is usually based off cliche roles (i.e., the abused child who grew up to donate millions to charity, the man who nearly escaped cancer and is now living like there's no tomorrow, the rags to riches businessman, and so forth). One would think people could see through these cliches and lies easily. But psychopaths are experts at playing on people's emotional needs and desires. We can and will play any role that we think will please our love interest, business partner, friend, or other such person. This illusion of emotional attachment (as well as a cokctail (sic) of other charms and thrills) can be so strong that it blinds the psychopath's partner of the inconsistencies in the psychopath's many stories and manipulative tendencies. Any person who watches this relationship from the sidelines can (and usually does) notice how manipulative the psychopath is.

I might add more to this later... It's getting late...
Interesting. And probably true. Women are funny. They love the "bad boy" yet, they cry and complain when their calls and emails go unanswered.

I wonder how exciting it'll be for them once their bank accounts are empty and they're no longer considered useful?

And why let themselves get abused and not walk away? Self-loathing?

Unread 11-28-2010, 09:47 AM   #4
Anonymous32399
Anonymous32399 has no updates. Edit

I doubt most are like...."Um, hi! I am abusable Miss so n so...you...you're a psychopath ? if you ever sit n chat with Myers...He isn't like that here.He is engaging for no other visible reason than to chat in chat rooms about regular stuff.(Well placed smilie Myers ...LOL)

Last edited by Anonymous32399; 11-28-2010 at 10:38 AM.

"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 11-28-2010, 10:04 AM   #5
Amy
Amy has no updates. Edit

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfsong View Post
O.o.........um... I doubt most are like...."Um, hi! I am abusable Miss so n so...you...you're a psychopath ?...um ..like can we date?"...LOL...And if you ever sit n chat with Myers...He isn't like that here.He is engaging for no other visible reason than to chat in chat rooms about regular stuff.(Well placed smilie Myers ...LOL)
I don't think women consciously look for someone who is abusive and controlling. And if you read Myers answers to other questions you will notice that he admittedly treats others like garbage. He admits to lying, abusing, cheating and screwing with people just for kicks. If you find him charming and interesting then you might be "falling for his act."

Remember, Meyers is a sociopath. However, he might be using "I'm an honest sociopath" as another form of manipulation to get what he wants. I believe Meyers is being honest in his answers but I need to question why a sociopath would want to expose his "tricks."

Unread 11-28-2010, 10:33 AM   #6
Anonymous32399

I have read his posts,watched him engage with others.He has never been inappropriate,does not flirt with women,is married...and has manipulated not one person on site.He is honest...I would rather sit with him ..being up front..than people who are one thing in your face and whisper behind your back.Thats what you have to watch out for.~W~

"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 11-28-2010, 11:26 AM   #7
Grand Poohbah

Omers Wanting a cave to crawl into

My Mood:

3 yr Member

If you take the definition a bit beyond the scope of the DSM criteria and find an answer please post or PM me... I have found one of the quickest ways to determine if a man is a sociopath (in a more broad sense than DSM) is that I have dated them.

I do know one factor... for a smart chick I can be very nieve. My social skills are not congruent with what I have to offer a relationship... So... while I have a lot of good qualities my social skills keep me isolated. Many people with less than steller motives are able to hone in on me in a crowd very quickly. Someone with my qualities shouldn't be as alone as I am... May as well have a flashing neon light over my head!
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 11-28-2010, 11:30 AM   #8
Anonymous32399

You do now lol...(Neon light )...lol

Unread 11-28-2010, 12:35 PM   #9
Grand Poohbah

Omers Wanting a cave to crawl into

My Mood:

3 yr Member

@ Wolfsong:
at least here some of them warn me in their bio! LOL
Unread 11-28-2010, 02:14 PM   #10
Amy
Amy has no updates. Edit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omers View Post
If you take the definition a bit beyond the scope of the DSM criteria and find an answer please post or PM me... I have found one of the quickest ways to determine if a man is a sociopath (in a more broad sense than DSM) is that I have dated them.

I do know one factor... for a smart chick I can be very nieve. My social skills are not congruent with what I have to offer a relationship... So... while I have a lot of good qualities my social skills keep me isolated. Many people with less than steller motives are able to hone in on me in a crowd very quickly. Someone with my qualities shouldn't be as alone as I am... May as well have a flashing neon light over my head!
Here are a few tips for your dating agenda:
1. Don't date anyone who is too sarcastic.
2. Don't lend anyone money.
3. Don't give out too much personal information too quickly.

"Thanks for this!" says:
Closed Thread