Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Mental Health Support > Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD/ADHD) > ADHD Success Stories

advertisement
Unread 05-14-2013, 04:03 PM   #1

vanessa22 has no updates.

2 yr Member
9 hugs
given
Default Can Prozac help with ADHD?

Ive been prescribed Prozac, for my bulimia, depression and ocd. But I also believe a lot of my problems stem from adhd. I believe I have it. Would Prozac in anyway help with that?

Or would Prozac, lessoning the other problems make adhd easier and more manageable to live with?
How can one really cure/manage or accept ADHD?
Sometimees I don't mind it..sometimes, I really hate it. (it can make me depressed itself!)
vanessa22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 03:06 PM   #2
Anonymous33445
Anonymous33445 has no updates. Edit

Default Re: Can Prozac help with ADHD?

Prozac and paxil are the two antidepressants that block a certain passage way for amphetamines to get in which is why it can't be treated at the same time, however, other antidepressants in combination with an ADHD medication will work. Prozac itself will make ADHD worse from what ive heard.
Unread 06-27-2013, 02:21 PM   #3
sanisiwa has no updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonewithmycat View Post
Prozac and paxil are the two antidepressants that block a certain passage way for amphetamines to get in which is why it can't be treated at the same time, however, other antidepressants in combination with an ADHD medication will work. Prozac itself will make ADHD worse from what ive heard.
That is not what I have heard.
Can you give me any information about where you got that information from? Would be interesting to read.
sanisiwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2013, 04:11 PM   #4
Anonymous33445
Anonymous33445 has no updates. Edit

Prozac, Paxil and Amphetamines - New ADHD Medication Rules - YouTube
Unread 08-15-2013, 02:43 AM   #5

Tagless Busy days ahead!

It really depends on how you react to Prozac and how bad your ADHD is. My ADHD was most obstructing in academic settings and I took ritalin (methylphenidate) while I was on lexapro and I was fine. Do know that amphetamines (adderall/vyvanse) and methylphenidate (ritalin/concerta) can make you pretty anxious: ritalin/concerta make me very manic/anxious, but vyvanse does not. Talk to your pdoc, you might have to try different combinations and see what works. My pdoc gave me 10 concerta and 10 vyvanse to try out and I think I'm most satisfied with the vyvanse.

Is Prozac the first antidepressant you're taking?
Tagless is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2013, 09:41 PM   #6
wisedude has no updates.

Prozac does not treat ADHD.
wisedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2013, 08:44 AM   #7
Veteran Member

doyoutrustme just doesn't know

My Mood:

2 yr Member
120 hugs
given

I was on Prozac and Adderall for some time. I would say the two worked well together, being that I have anxiety which the prozac helps. When I'm anxious, I can't concentrate, adderall or not, so though it doesn't help directly, it contributes in a positive way.
doyoutrustme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2013, 11:02 PM   #8
neurocog has no updates.

My Mood:

This is my first posting and this group was chosen due to the excellent, core questions being asked.

Typically this disorders medical treatment, require carefully documented, medication log, selection of Self & Other single sheet evaluation form, which gives prescribing physicians to practice evidence-based, gold standard professional services. This complex of symptoms, well know for over a century of medical science's scholarly attention.

The current name of ADHD has only confused public & scientific, collectively held mind-sets, with innate biases continuing to confuse todays mental health profession. Many cultural concepts, existing as artifacts prescientific era in mental health, circa 1880-1984, approximately.

During the years since 1996 when initially Self-diagnosing myself as ADHD, followed by an ideal response to Ritalin, my daily activity became studying & learning as much possible about such a unique, complex & enigmatic. After absorbing as much in-depth understanding, by 2002 knowledge this lifelong challenge of coping with "disability conscious," seeing at age 52, my path included returning to school (4 years), as a post-graduate student.
neurocog is offline   Reply With Quote